The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Even anti-EU MPs are not supporting Mays bill to take us out of the EU !!

Mays bill doesn’t take us out of the EU it keeps us tied in and over a barrel! 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8193941/brussels-brexit-boast-following-rules-for-years-to-come/

Edited by mafya

10 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why not? People are entitled to change their mind, they do so in GE's, and they are less permanent.

A GE is now for a fixed term of 5 years so people cant change their mind until one is called, so to be fair the same should also happen for referendums. Perhaps parliament should pass a law stating that any referendum on the same issue cannot be held until a given time is up and its a pity that has not already been done.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, ez8004 said:

No we don’t. The European courts have already stated that we can unilaterally revoke A50. We need no confirmation from the EU whatsoever to do this. However we will need a new piece of legislation to invoke it again. 

Since I never said anything about needing confirmation then I can only conclude that you are trying to build a strawman. Now are you going to actually answer the substantive point I made or do I have to rub your nose in it?

36 minutes ago, RJRB said:

May has lost the backing of her own party and should hand the reins to an acknowledged pro Brexit leader.

The problem with that is that in the absence of a general election or a second referendum, any further deal would be almost certainly closer to the EU such as the Norway deal or some other form of customs union to remove the need for an Irish backstop. A pro Brexit leader would be unlikely to negotiate that.

7 minutes ago, apelike said:

Perhaps parliament should pass a law stating that any referendum on the same issue cannot be held until a given time is up and its a pity that has not already been done.

If they're gunna do that they might as well set figures for turnout and the margin required to declare a definite outcome.

One things for sure when there's only a couple of percent difference between the two options, it only causes further arguments.

8 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The problem with that is that in the absence of a general election or a second referendum, any further deal would be almost certainly closer to the EU such as the Norway deal or some other form of customs union to remove the need for an Irish backstop. A pro Brexit leader would be unlikely to negotiate that.

I think the EU have already stated they are not prepared to negotiate further so basically any idea of renegotiation is dead in the water.

3 minutes ago, geared said:

If they're gunna do that they might as well set figures for turnout and the margin required to declare a definite outcome.

That is something that has already been discussed in the Lords but has basically been given a no for a number of reasons. I will see if I can find the details.

But IIRC one of them was that a referendum is advisory.

Edited by apelike

6 minutes ago, mafya said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8193941/brussels-brexit-boast-following-rules-for-years-to-come/

The fact that Parliament is made up of about 75%  of remainers and the Withdrawal Agreement which Mrs May supports suffered such a massive defeat can only lead to the conclusion the only way the UK will leave the EU is without a deal.   There is no point in any further negotiations between the UK and EU taking place.   

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

That is something that has already been discussed in the Lords but has basically been given a no for a number of reasons. I will see if I can find the details.

But IIRC one of them was that a referendum is advisory.

You'd think it was written in blood the way some people rant on though.

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

Do you see one of those happening without a GE or a referendum?

Weve been saying that for two years. All you get back is hot air about "german cars" and "we are needed more" and so forth. I can't see that level of malovolent ignorance changing soon...

A brief look on the bbc news comments confirms that.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

A brief look on the bbc news comments confirms that.

Folk on there stating that the rest of the world trades on WTO, the exact opposite of reality! :loopy:

It's quite weird how no-one ever seems to get challenged on any of these things.

Esther McVey managed to simply not answer any questions on anything on the TV yesterday by simply saying that everyone pointing out these issues probably voted remain.... That was it!!!

No attempt to challenge her whatsoever, or to point out that the very people highlighting these issues are experts in their respective fields and are the very people that deliver these services.. like they haven't a clue how their own businesses work.

It's totally bizarre!

47 minutes ago, mafya said:

It satisfies the question asked on the ballot paper. But it is an appalling deal.

34 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The fact that Parliament is made up of about 75%  of remainers and the Withdrawal Agreement which Mrs May supports suffered such a massive defeat can only lead to the conclusion the only way the UK will leave the EU is without a deal.   There is no point in any further negotiations between the UK and EU taking place.   

Parliament wouldn’t allow no deal to happen.

Simple as that

But I expect it would allow an acceptable Brexit to take place