The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Most non-UK Europeans I know think that we are absolutely bonkers.

We are a major player in the EU with by far the best deal of any of the 28 member nations and we are trying to throw it all away.

Bonkers!

Oh really now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46856149

Keep the good news coming.

What is the UK's default position if the vote is defeated this coming week? LMAO

It’s default of those who voted for Brexit and default of Theresa May for wasting 2 years,and default of Boris Johnson who only ever saw it as a way of becoming PM.

1 hour ago, ez8004 said:

Keep up and not quote news that is older than 5 days. 

You obviously missed this bit at the bottom then:

"This article was updated on Wednesday 9 Jan to include the new amendment asking government to return to Parliament with new plans within three days of a vote against the Prime Minister's withdrawal deal."

Which makes it just an hour over 4 days since I posted it.

So what has changed since to alter that? ;)

Edited by apelike

17 hours ago, melthebell said:

indeed

but its gonna be far worse than we had, whatever is decided

its NOT punishment, that is a right wing conspiracy theory, we decided to leave, that means we leave everything, not bits, if we decide to rejoin bits we negotiate those bits. They are 27 countries as one, we are one country, they hold all the cards not us.

how many times do we need to reiterate all of this :(

I'll give you the Right Wing conspiracy theory that we're being 'punished' somehow for having a democratic vote & deciding to to leave the EU but as for them being '27 countries as one', you're having a laugh on that one aren't you? .

The UK only has to placate Germany, France, Italy, Belgium & Holland by showing that any business arrangements are in their best interests & somehow the 'flexible' EU rules will force the rest into line, or will no longer need to be applied, just as when the the Germans & French broke the budgetary deficit rules for a number of years.  Have they been penalised in line with EU regulations?  Of course they haven't but then you look at Greece?  Clearly Greece never carried the same clout in the EU club of equals?

Also reminds me of when the UK was forced out of the European Exchange Rate mechanism when the Major Govt. was unable to keep the £ above the ERM lower limit.  What happened a few months later, Italy finds itself in the same predicament! They are given additional time to put things right.  Some months later a number of other EU countries also begin to struggle with the ERM.  What then happens?  The parameters were adjusted. 

People should remember that the disgruntled didn't vote to leave EU back in 2016 on a whim but because of the likes of the evidence above. 

It's a shame now the our politicians are playing politics, trying to out manoeuvre not only opposition parties but also their own party colleagues. 

By the way.  The UK leaving  the ERM resulted in one of the longest running periods of prosperity within the UK. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

The cross party draft bill for a second referendum will have TWO questions. 

- Remain

- The PM’s current deal

This legislation could be introduced in the House of Lords. 

So the two options keep us tied into the single market. Do we want a seat at the table writing the rules of the EU or just be told what to do? A no deal is off the table. 

28 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

The cross party draft bill for a second referendum will have TWO questions. 

- Remain

- The PM’s current deal

This legislation could be introduced in the House of Lords. 

So the two options keep us tied into the single market. Do we want a seat at the table writing the rules of the EU or just be told what to do? A no deal is off the table. 

As much as I'm having a chuckle at your posting, I think you're on the right lines. 

We should be moving on from the BIGGEST DEMOCRATIC VOTE that the UK electorate ever took part in, otherwise we are just going to be going over old ground. 

If, as I speculate, we do end up with having to undertake a 2nd referendum, (the 1st apparently ended up  costing the UK £129 million according to the Electoral Commission - https://amp.ft.com/content/f0a62bb4-ff9e-11e8-ac00-57a2a826423e) & all because the 651 highly paid, 'intelligent' individuals are incapable & FRIT of making a further decision based on 52% of the eligible voting population already giving them the green light, the question should be:

Does the electorate want?

A. The deal negotiatiated by the PM?

B. A no deal with the EU?  (No Brexit). 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments