Anyone from the village of handsworth

Hi yes I remember when plaza was a cinema and when we were kids me and my brother used to go to Saturday matinee. Think it cost a tanner

I remember the Cross Keys public house, run by Kevin Francis's parents.

He was in my class at school and was killed whilst driving his dad's car.

I moved from Swallownest to Driffield near Bridlington in 1966 then to Malaysia in 2006

I had long connections with Handsworth, my cousins Christine and Michael Brooks lived on Ballified and went to Ballifield School about 1951 to 1958. My father had Crest Service Station from 1967 to 1982/3 - Victor Hutchinson

He was a regular in the local pubs in an evening from the Old Crown right down to the one near the triangle whose name currently escapes me - spent many a long lunchtime there myself

Remember going to the Plaza Cinema when it was a cinema, and many many more things

Best Wishes to Handsworth - Victor Marshall Hutchinson - Subang Jaya, near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - summer every day of the year, no seasons, low cost living, 9-40am and already 93 degrees

I remember the Turf of course when the Morris's had it and when Mrs Morris use to play the piano

Lol, that climate as you describe it would be my idea of hell but glad it suits you.

The pub just below the Triangle is the White Rose. I don't think think you'd like it now.

Can someone remember handsworth rovers fc they were run from turf they later moved to wmc changing there name to handsworth wmc were Handsworth boys originally run from now play at Oliver's mount

I went to handsworth infants,Athelstan,brook I left in 1974 great times still see Nick Gruzka ,Glynn copnell my mates were Paul hopwood Kim Oakley smoo shack pete burgin kenny Webster to name a few great times

My mates were exactly the same as yours so we must know each other, give me a clue:)

Message to ALBA: I searching for Nick Gruzka. He tried to get in touch a few years ago, but I don't think he does social media.

If anyone on here is in touch with Nick, please let him know that Dave Priestley is looking for him.

Thanks

I remember you Dave Nick now lives in the flats just above the old city school on the strad he some times drinks up Handsworth Sunday dinner time his sister Lindsay still lives on medlock road opposite the old crown

I would like to here things about Handsworth village I lived there for the first 50 years of my life, football teams ,cricket teams ,pubs ,schools , the Handsworth cup ,anything about  Handsworth

Edited by alba
Mistake in wording

Lived in Handsworth until 1973, first on Haigh Moor estate, then on Retford Rd.  Then moved to Australia when I was 10.

Went to Athelstan Junior school.

Main friends were John Harthill, Philip Gilbert and Carol Smith

In the mid 1950's we moved from Pitsmoor to Woodhouse. Dad started playing football for Handsworth Rovers which lasted for a few years. They had meetings in a snack bar just up the road from the Plaza. I think they played on the Nunnery pitch.  A few years later with a group of mates I used to walk across the fields from Woodhouse to attend a boys club behind the church. After that I played for Cross Keys on saturdays and St Joseph's on sundays.

During that time watched a few films at the Plaza or the Rex at intake.

Had lots of mates who went to Beaver Hill School.