Anyone from the village of handsworth

Does anyone remember the other pubs in Handsworth or the clubs or anyone that lived or lives in Handsworth anyone with a story to tell about Handsworth the schools etc I've lived in Handsworth 50 year

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 23:32 ----------

Anyone go to Athelstan school or Handsworth infants or Brook school . Anyone play football on the rec

Hello Alba , I've lived in Handsworth all my life nearly 70 yrs. I went to Handsworth Infants in the white huts which were at the back , then Athelstan and on to Brook. I remember the Riviera Club which was in the chapel on Hendon St. I then graduated to the pubs , Old Crown Cross Keys, Turf , New Crown and both clubs ,Everest , Anglers and Norfolk too. Old Crown is the only one I use regularly now though, I do a bit of voluntary work trying to keep the rec a bit decent but I think Handsworth has gone down the nick a lot since I was a kid.

I was brought up on the Triangle Estate until I moved away in 1980. Never really ventured much above the Parkway but used to wander round the pit entrance and the pit head buildings. We used to play in the top field until the Parkway went over it.

I remember the riviera club ran by Ray Middleton I was one of young uns my brother went to also Bob batty etc.playing football in school yard

---------- Post added 20-11-2016 at 20:56 ----------

We lived at the back of the Norfolk arms also played around pit can remember when they knocked the farm down (badgers )

Anyone from Handsworth remember the pubs bozzys hairdressers schofield fruit&veg reardons bread parleys corner shop study's wool shop gulf garage plaza cinema bonds bread shop Norfolk hotel when it had a snooker table the little sweet shop run by the old lady ( now nutcase ) going to the clubs at christmas

Does anyone remember the other pubs in Handsworth or the clubs or anyone that lived or lives in Handsworth anyone with a story to tell about Handsworth the schools etc I've lived in Handsworth 50 year

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 23:32 ----------

Anyone go to Athelstan school or Handsworth infants or Brook school . Anyone play football on the rec

I went to St Joseph's RC school from1950 to 1956 , although I lived in Catcliffe. When I was about 9 or 10. I was heading for my bus stop on Handsworth Road when right before my eyes a girl from my class was killed by a Thomas Black coal lorry on a crossing patrolled by a police officer. I could not sleep for days. Sorry to bring up a bad thing about your neck of the woods, but I have not talked about this for many years.

Anyone from Handsworth remember the pubs bozzys hairdressers schofield fruit&veg reardons bread parleys corner shop study's wool shop gulf garage plaza cinema bonds bread shop Norfolk hotel when it had a snooker table the little sweet shop run by the old lady ( now nutcase ) going to the clubs at christmas

Bonds bread shop is stiil there - Sturdys was a weird shop, everything was rammed in all over the place I don't know how they managed to find anything but they always did. Plaza was brilliant for kids on a Saturday morning.And Mr Parsley would carry your mums shopping home if she couldn't manage

Hi I lived in handsworth 40years ago I worked at the norfolk behind the bar for Joan and Cyril and also roger ryalls. I also was one of guys which started the norfolk footy team up.and also played for them , then we moved the team upto the turf .ican remember all the shops mentioned. I used to go to the riviera club too. Bob batty was my best man at my wedding , I still see him now.we had some great times back then . I also played for handsworth social club and can remember the season whe we won the league without losing what a team that was , there was trev Anderson tommy Nolan what I can recall can't think of others at mo .

There was terry France ,Micky Taylor ,Dennis ,Ian Wright ,Roy ,graham Wharton, John oldfield. do you remember the Shutt family I played at centre half for Norfolk.albert swallow bought Norfolk there first kit.norfolk players were Andy fearn David esberger neil varns billy ward Bob Rhodes George Moore graham Moore Pete Williams Walt bird David Shutt dicky Pratt .Do you remember mels younger brother who is blade fellow give me a clue

Edited by alba

Yes I remember Albert swallow nice man,and yes all the names have come back to me now, I was a big mate of graham Wharton Andy fearn .im graham elson .can you remember Malcolm verity he was the manager and the other guy was a helped start them up was a guy called ted I can't think of his surname. Also a lad called tats

Edited by bladefellow

Yes I remember Albert swallow nice man,and yes all the names have come back to me now, I was a big mate of graham Wharton Andy fearn .im graham elson .can you remember Malcolm verity he was the manager and the other guy was a helped start them up was a guy called ted I can't think of his surname. Also a lad called tats

Saw Malcolm verity couple years ago and see David Esberger regular in h.s.c.:hihi:

See Neil Varnes now and then Mell and george Shutt sadly Billy Ward -Tommy Nolan no longer with us.

Edited by spider1

Hi bladefellow thought it was you Graham how r things it is tats yes we played in the same team for a long time I was fullback and you centre half we had some good times remember them well the other fellow was Ted gambles and also Barry mason helped out he was Sam's older brother good days enjoyed them