Sheffield peregrine falcons 2019

Is there any news on the dead peregrine?

On 23/05/2019 at 22:57, medusa said:

I've passed on the details to the chair of the Sheffield bird group, who will be able to both circulate them to whoever and contact the building caretaking team to gain access to the roof, where the bird was found today, to see if they can work out how it died.  The scaffold is on top of a tall block in town, so there will have been nobody else up there today.

From our conversation I already know that this wasn't one of the chicks from the last few years of the university birds as they were ringed in orange and this bird was ringed in green.

Did anything come of this ? Would be interested to know where the bird came from. Cheers 🙂

56 minutes ago, clogginchris said:

Did anything come of this ? Would be interested to know where the bird came from. Cheers 🙂

Well, nobody's got back to me with any information so there's nothing to pass on at the moment.  It's entirely possible that the bird was nothing to do with any of the webcam sites.

On 13/05/2019 at 11:44, hauxwell said:

Thank you. It would be nice to know where last years young falcons are, or how many or still alive today.  

Can confirm one is at Wakefield and doing OK 👍

7 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Can confirm one is at Wakefield and doing OK 👍

Thank you.  

Just seen this thread, I watched it before with fascination. How are they doing this year. How many eggs?

1 hour ago, chocki said:

Just seen this thread, I watched it before with fascination. How are they doing this year. How many eggs?

Not well, dead Peregrine and the eggs were not brooded enough due to an intruder.

One been sat on the perch for a while now

I haven’t had a glimpse of Mr P for some time now unless I’m looking at the wrong time.  The new Mrs P is there most days.  I can’t make my mind up if she is a young bird who hasn’t laid eggs before. 

If Mr P has gone I can’t blame him. I dread to think what the nest box will be like if they did breed next year.  I’m sure Mr P will be one henpecked bird, removing the dead pigeons after the female has eaten, he’d probably be doing most of the incubating while Mrs P sits on the perch grooming her feathers. If he has flown the nest he’s had a lucky escape.  The nest box needs a good spring clean.