Sheffield peregrine falcons

56 minutes ago, clogginchris said:

Did anything come of this ? Would be interested to know where the bird came from. Cheers 🙂

Well, nobody's got back to me with any information so there's nothing to pass on at the moment.  It's entirely possible that the bird was nothing to do with any of the webcam sites.

7 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Can confirm one is at Wakefield and doing OK 👍

Thank you.  

Just seen this thread, I watched it before with fascination. How are they doing this year. How many eggs?

1 hour ago, chocki said:

Just seen this thread, I watched it before with fascination. How are they doing this year. How many eggs?

Not well, dead Peregrine and the eggs were not brooded enough due to an intruder.

One been sat on the perch for a while now

I haven’t had a glimpse of Mr P for some time now unless I’m looking at the wrong time.  The new Mrs P is there most days.  I can’t make my mind up if she is a young bird who hasn’t laid eggs before. 

If Mr P has gone I can’t blame him. I dread to think what the nest box will be like if they did breed next year.  I’m sure Mr P will be one henpecked bird, removing the dead pigeons after the female has eaten, he’d probably be doing most of the incubating while Mrs P sits on the perch grooming her feathers. If he has flown the nest he’s had a lucky escape.  The nest box needs a good spring clean.

I was convinced it was going to be the old Mrs P.  

I am afraid somebody's racing pigeon was invited for breakfast at peregrine manor this morning, hope it wasn't a special bird.

You would think all the fat feral pigeons in sheffield would have been a favoured choice, easier to catch but perhaps not as tasty? a diet of discarded chips doesn't produce such flavour some meat or perhaps its the challenge of a faster more elusive bird.

Could domestic birds be fed something that makes their meat undesirable, perhaps some garlic in their corn? though could interfere with breeding.

It has to be difficult to accept for  people losing a animal to a wild predatory animal, hopefully research can find ways to help, we can't wipe out species so some losses have to be lived with but i do genuinely sympathise.

The banded leg is in the box at the moment, a trophy perhaps?

Edited by Arthur Ritus

On 26/07/2019 at 11:03, Arthur Ritus said:

I am afraid somebody's racing pigeon was invited for breakfast at peregrine manor this morning, hope it wasn't a special bird.

You would think all the fat feral pigeons in sheffield would have been a favoured choice, easier to catch but perhaps not as tasty? a diet of discarded chips doesn't produce such flavour some meat or perhaps its the challenge of a faster more elusive bird.

Could domestic birds be fed something that makes their meat undesirable, perhaps some garlic in their corn? though could interfere with breeding.

It has to be difficult to accept for  people losing a animal to a wild predatory animal, hopefully research can find ways to help, we can't wipe out species so some losses have to be lived with but i do genuinely sympathise.

The banded leg is in the box at the moment, a trophy perhaps?

Hi,

I noticed the ringed pigeon as well and had similar thoughts. It's probably due to the method peregrines use to hunt, hitting the prey at high speed in the air. Racing pigeons will spend the majority of their time up high actually flying and so make themselves a good target for the peregrine. The fat wallahs trundling about The Moor and wandering over the tram tracks don't provide that sort of target.

Another favoured species is starlings who also have quite a high and direct flight allowing peregrine to gauge where best to intercept it at maximum velocity.

I once saw one chasing a greenshank up in Scotland. That was pretty amazing to the waders zigzagging flight.

How many eggs this year?

12 hours ago, Padders said:

How many eggs this year?

4 eggs. Due to hatch around 2nd May.