Sheffield peregrine falcons

13 hours ago, Sam71 said:

I also thought this.  What I am now wondering, and hope someone here can tell me, is will Mr & Mrs P still use this nest site or will the usurper now be the new tenant?

It looks as though we are wrong as clogginchris says the ring is different on the intruder, 

On 12/05/2019 at 21:56, Sam71 said:

I also thought this.  What I am now wondering, and hope someone here can tell me, is will Mr & Mrs P still use this nest site or will the usurper now be the new tenant?

I'm no expert, but just reading the tweets and following the blog, it looks as though this is a nest takeover, and the intruder is making sure the nest is hers. The original female falcon hasn't been seen for a few days, the last time she was seen she had an injured leg., possibly from a fight with the intruder, but no-one saw this.  it remans to be seen who will come back next year 🙂  The Intruder and Mr P, the intruder and a new male, or the original pair. I think the latter is unlikely. Or, maybe a new pair completely. It will be interesting to see. 

Mr P is sat on the eggs at the moment.  I wonder how long it will be before the eggs are removed for examination.  I don’t think he is ready give up on his eggs  just yet.  

Oh bless him.

I know its just nature but its so sad.
Poor Mr P  :( 

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

I know its just nature but its so sad.
Poor Mr P  :( 

I’m probably wrong, but I was wondering if he knows the eggs are not going to hatch and it is his way of grieving.  Having said that I don’t know anything about birds.  

2 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m probably wrong, but I was wondering if he knows the eggs are not going to hatch and it is his way of grieving.  Having said that I don’t know anything about birds.  

Its an interesting thought.  I really have no idea either tho.

One of my friends has just found a dead peregrine on top of a scaffold and I've asked for details in case this explains the disappearance of the female.

It would be interesting to know how this bird died, or if it is the old Mrs P. 

Someone who is knowledgeable on these birds might be able to give us answers. 

6 hours ago, hauxwell said:

It would be interesting to know how this bird died, or if it is the old Mrs P. 

Someone who is knowledgeable on these birds might be able to give us answers. 

I've passed on the details to the chair of the Sheffield bird group, who will be able to both circulate them to whoever and contact the building caretaking team to gain access to the roof, where the bird was found today, to see if they can work out how it died.  The scaffold is on top of a tall block in town, so there will have been nobody else up there today.

From our conversation I already know that this wasn't one of the chicks from the last few years of the university birds as they were ringed in orange and this bird was ringed in green.

8 hours ago, medusa said:

I've passed on the details to the chair of the Sheffield bird group, who will be able to both circulate them to whoever and contact the building caretaking team to gain access to the roof, where the bird was found today, to see if they can work out how it died.  The scaffold is on top of a tall block in town, so there will have been nobody else up there today.

From our conversation I already know that this wasn't one of the chicks from the last few years of the university birds as they were ringed in orange and this bird was ringed in green.

Thank you for the information.

Is there any news on the dead peregrine?

On 23/05/2019 at 22:57, medusa said:

Did anything come of this ? Would be interested to know where the bird came from. Cheers 🙂