Sheffield peregrine falcons

2 hours ago, zach said:

Yeah just noticed that. It looks like the first egg that was possibly laid by the intruder that's she's booted out! Must be having a "peregrine" moment.

This is only my second year at watching these birds, so again I’m no expert.  It seems strange to reject the egg after all of this time.  I was wondering if she couldn’t manage to sit on the 4 eggs? 

I think she has brought the rejected egg back and is sitting on it.  

Think you are right she’s having a peregrine moment.

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I think she has brought the rejected egg back and is sitting on it.  

Think you are right she’s having a peregrine moment.

I think it’s going to be a miracle if these eggs hatch.  Mrs P has just been chased out of the nest by the intruder who looks bigger than her.

Looks like the intruder has killed the resident female. There's a picture on the peregrine Twitter site 

16 minutes ago, melv said:

Looks like the intruder has killed the resident female. There's a picture on the peregrine Twitter site 

Someones said the bird the intruder killed is actually a pigeon.
Obviously this would be good news but if its true where is the female? Looks like the male is there on his own?

I saw the intruder with a dead bird in its mouth earlier on today, and I thought  it looked bigger than a pigeon.  Hope I’m wrong. 

Edited by hauxwell

58 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Someones said the bird the intruder killed is actually a pigeon.
Obviously this would be good news but if its true where is the female? Looks like the male is there on his own?

Another picture on twitter taken from a different angle shows that indeed it's a pigeon:-)

looks like we have a little miracle, i can't imagine how the male is going to feed himself, the chick and protect it from perezilla.

Haha....  perezilla!

Good one ;)

Off to have a look now.

I could be wrong but I’m sure Mr P is eating one of the eggs.  

Or could it be an egg that has hatched.

It has hatched, but the intruder came back and he flew off leaving the chick.

She barely looked at it. 

He wasn't brooding it when it hatched he just looked at it completely not intetested 

I’m not surprised that the chic has died.  I can’t tell who is male, who is female or what sex the intruder is, but I suspect the intruder is female.  

I can’t see the dead chick in the box at the moment so who has removed it, Mr P or the intruder?   Can only hope should another egg hatch he is not frightened off by the intruder again.  Although I’m not sure if he can cope on his own.

Edited by hauxwell