Homeless read this .

17 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

Stupid is to stupid be.

So people have to be 'stupid' to not accept the help?

How does that relate to the people whose mental health difficulties are too severe for them to cope with dealing with the system or being shoved into the same physical space as people of whom they may be terrified?  Mental health problems don't just go away when you offer someone a place to stay.

Medusa is right. Many homeless people are not stupid - they may be ill or have had events in their life which they are unable to cope with. I read that a significant number of ex military men find themselves in this position, some due to post traumatic illness. In young people homelessness may be due to abusive parents/step parents or perhaps due to being in care.  If we are to prevent homelessness we need to invest in treating the causes. The cost of Harry’s new home, while being seemingly unfair, is really a red herring.

Edited by Jomie

2 hours ago, medusa said:

So people have to be 'stupid' to not accept the help?

How does that relate to the people whose mental health difficulties are too severe for them to cope with dealing with the system or being shoved into the same physical space as people of whom they may be terrified?  Mental health problems don't just go away when you offer someone a place to stay.

My comment was in reply to the poster who called me stupid and in no directed at any one who has any mental health issues please read back.

Thirteen people 'packed' in three-bed semi in Newcastle!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47310505

That is 13 people that would have been on the streets, which I assume will now be housed by the council, but maybe not if they are single.

We should have somewhere basic for people to sleep, which is safe for all. Some refuse to stay in hostels.

On 15/01/2019 at 15:43, Jomie said:

Medusa is right. Many homeless people are not stupid - they may be ill or have had events in their life which they are unable to cope with. I read that a significant number of ex military men find themselves in this position, some due to post traumatic illness. In young people homelessness may be due to abusive parents/step parents or perhaps due to being in care.  If we are to prevent homelessness we need to invest in treating the causes. The cost of Harry’s new home, while being seemingly unfair, is really a red herring.

Totally agree with those comments.