The french treat speed cameras exactly as they should be treat

25 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Appropriate speeds dictated by a body thats making an absolute mint out of them, I'm talking a staggering amount of money, people are still dying on the roads though as the emphasis on other incidents that are not as easy to make money from are neglected, when were you last pulled over by a police officer to check your vehicle etc.

I'm not whining about getting caught (I rarely have been) I'm making the point that these are cash generators and a section of people in France fully agree.

I'll ask again if speed is the main cause of road accidents/fatalities (as the money invested in detecting it would suggest) why are limiters  not fitted to all vehicles at the time of production?

I'm kinda worried if I have to share the roads with people who can't spot a bright yellow camera mounted on a pole visible from a fair distance away - or one that is signed big style beforehand. I wonder if they'd spot a pedestrian crossing the road (had some near misses crossing the zebra on Crookes Valley), or someone slamming the brakes on in front of them. Driving without due care and attention is the phrase that springs to mind.

The section in France who don't like speed cameras appear to be the ones who think it appropriate to overtake before a blind bend on the equivalent of a "B" road at 60mph plus - and are more than likely the ones you find fairly regularly in roadside ditches.

Edited by Longcol

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I'm kinda worried if I have to share the roads with people who can't spot a bright yellow camera mounted on a pole visible from a fair distance away - or one that is signed big style beforehand. I wonder if they'd spot a pedestrian crossing the road (had some near misses crossing the zebra on Crookes Valley), or someone slamming the brakes on in front of them. Driving without due care and attention is the phrase that springs to mind.

The section in France who don't like speed cameras appear to be the ones who think it appropriate to overtake before a blind bend on the equivalent of a "B" road at 60mph plus - and are more than likely the ones you find fairly regularly in roadside ditches.

Seeing as I haven't had a single accident in 30 years of driving (I drive every single day and for some distance) would suggest your totally wrong.

20 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

successive governments have chosen not to legislate to make limiters mandatory. if you feel  its a good idea then write to your MP, i'm sure they would welcome some not brexit related correspondence. 

i really dont understand why you and angel and possibly a few more, are so hostile to the idea of just sticking to the speed limit. doing so would solve all your problems relating to speed cameras.

Of course they wont, why cut off a huge revenue stream.

Perhaps because we know that speed is not the cause of all accidents but it is the easiest to raise revenue from.

Why would successive governments choose not to fit speed limiters, again if safety is the main reason for speed cameras then these would save tax payers money and be far more effective, so why not?

Just now, Brooker11 said:

Seeing as I haven't had a single accident in 30 years of driving (I drive every single day and for some distance) would suggest your totally wrong.

There are plenty numpties on the roads who appear incapable of spotting speed cameras, pedestrians etc - neither of us have had accidents in 30 years of driving but unfortunately many have managed it - like the ones here in France that overtake before blind bends.

I’ve just driven up the A64, the driving conditions are great, hardly anything on the road yet there’s a speed camera van parked overhead on a bridge not preceded by any signage etc.

For safety not revenue, really???

Edited by Brooker11

3 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

I’ve just driven up the A64, the driving conditions are great, hardly anything on the road yet there’s a speed camera van parked overhead on a bridge not preceded by any signage etc.

How about it's there to identify people like this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-16519532

14 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

I agree fully on this aspect of your views. But you seem to want to lump them all together. 30mph speeding needs hammering, no question. Smart motorway limits help congestion, good move. But using the same tech, they could make the limit 80mph on a motorway on a fine summer night. It doesn't always have to be black and white, remember.

btw same comment to your thread Nemesis 😉

11 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

So every single accident that occurs, every incident that occurs, every road fatality is caused by speed is it?

In all such instances, speeding would be a major aggravating factor.

If you knock down a little kid at 30, chances are it would be a fatality, or not far off. Assuming you are paying due care and attention at all times whilst driving, and have average reflexes, then if you hit that kid at 30, it means you were travelling faster than 30: the difference is your reaction time and the physics in play to effect deceleration.

If you were travelling at 30, then you'd hit that kid at a much lower speed, because there's a notionally-longer reaction time allowed, and less momentum forces to overcome for effecting deceleration.

Just like noone forces a driver to mash the go-pedal and speed, noone is superhuman and can foresee and prevent each and every happenstance on the road. Like the kid running after their bouncing ball between two cars parked on the road, a second (or less) before you cross that spot.

As you like to generalise from your experience, that one actually happened to me, luckily I had (very little-) more than a second and I was doing just shy of 20: I ended up with a wheelhub in a figure of 8 and some light drivetrain damage when I chose the kerb and bollard over the kid, because the car wasn't going to stop in the distance available. Pure reflex situation. Any faster, never mind at 30, and I doubt I'd have had the time to even swerve.

7 hours ago, woodview said:

I agree fully on this aspect of your views. But you seem to want to lump them all together. 30mph speeding needs hammering, no question. Smart motorway limits help congestion, good move. But using the same tech, they could make the limit 80mph on a motorway on a fine summer night. It doesn't always have to be black and white, remember.

btw same comment to your thread Nemesis 😉

Smart motorways could and should be used to up the limit in the correct conditions and at night for example, I actually saw four speed cameras (two Northbound/Two Southbound) on a very quiet stretch of the A64 today in total, the driving conditions apart from a bit of low sun were perfect, hardly anything on the road whatsoever, just waiting for easy pickings, reprehensible.

On 10/01/2019 at 23:30, Easy livin said:

Dont forget,  its not "the french"  its a tiny minority of anti gov   criminals.

A very large majority of the country are behind the Gilets Jaunes. It's essentially an anti tax anti austerity protest. Plus anti globalisation and anti neo libéral.

Macron is an incredibly sneery global elitist who is so énamouréd with his own wonderfullness  that he's disappeared up his own nether regions.

The Presidential run off was a choice between a fascist and a Thatcherite. I'd have been tempted to vote for the fascist

14 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

A very large majority of the country are behind the Gilets Jaunes.

The "vandalism" against speed cameras pre-dates the gilets jaunes by a good few months. A minority (slowly but steadily decreasing) wish to exercise what they see as their right to drive at dangerous speeds, overtake before blind bends, end up in ditches etc.

45 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

A very large majority of the country are behind the Gilets Jaunes. It's essentially an anti tax anti austerity protest. Plus anti globalisation and anti neo libéral.

Is it? Could have fooled me, and I live there.

The gilets jaunes are a heterogenous mix of anti-this, -that and -the other, plus the usual extremists and fruitcakes. That's why there's no pleasing them, short of delivering Brexity-like unicorns; ergo why politicians can't get a handle on the movement as a whole, and are leaving it well alone (Mélanchon had the obligatory early go, but soon shut up).

They're growing into an irrelevant nuisance to very many indeed. Society, being that "very large majority" which you mention, will bring them back to heel before long.

Edited by L00b

5 minutes ago, L00b said:

Is it? Could have fooled me, and I live there.

The gilets jaunes are a heterogenous mix of anti-this, -that and -the other, plus the usual extremists and fruitcakes. That's why there's no pleasing them, short of delivering Brexity-like unicorns; ergo why politicians can't get a handle on the movement as a whole, and are leaving it well alone (Mélanchon had the obligatory early go, but soon shut up).

They're growing into an irrelevant nuisance to very many indeed. Society, being that "very large majority" which you mention, will bring them back to heel before long.

I'm a little surprised at this as reports I've read have said that a vast cross section of people are joining the protests, surely all the 100's of ambulance drivers that blocked motorways a few weeks ago are not all extremists and fruitcakes, you may be being misled by the French media as we are with ours.