The french treat speed cameras exactly as they should be treat

1 minute ago, Brooker11 said:

I wouldn't dictate to someone who walks tightropes for a living how to do it as I know I can't do it myself.

I'll take that as a no, figures.

You take it as a no because i asked for a coherent argument as to why it's relevant?

Let's cut to the chase, you're going to make an appeal to authority (your driving prowess).

Which summed up = You drive, so you must be right.

Correct?

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

People don't care about points.  Insurers don't up premiums because of them.  Some people get away with having more than 12 points.

Motorist with 62 penalty points legally allowed to drive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

Sometimes the only way to force change is to hit people in their wallets.

Or make 12 points mean 12 points, absolutely no point (no pun intended) in the points system otherwise.

None of this nonsense where they're allowed to keep their licence because it would cost them their livelihood. 

If my livelihood depended on being able to drive then I'd make damn sure I kept my nose clean & my licence clean. 

8 hours ago, Easy livin said:

It's a long way to drift from 56 to 71..

Nice stating of the obvious but not at all relevant to the question I posed.

"Never drifted to 71mph on the motorway? Or 30mph on a clear, unpopulated side road? Or 51mph on a dual carriageway marked 50? I don't believe you, sorry."

19 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

Do you really think there are many non drivers around?

Or are you  just looking to justify your own opinions

Actually.

Does it matter?

Someone gets caught breaking the law.  Who gave you the authority to decide who can comment on that.

Lord Harwood was caught doing well over 70 in his limousine a few years ago , The Judge found him not guilty due to our Lord listening to a classical music crescendo finito .

Perhaps the old Judge was just a music lover.

I believe another Lord from around these parts was also let off for speeding on the Motorway perhaps its who you know guilty or not.

15 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

"Never drifted to 71mph on the motorway? Or 30mph on a clear, unpopulated side road? Or 51mph on a dual carriageway marked 50? I don't believe you, sorry."

My van wain't do 70 ,problem solved on that one.

28 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

but thats beside the point, the point is should there be cameras? and is it right to be done if you do "accidently" go over. you could accidently shoot somebody should you not get done for that?

17 hours ago, Easy livin said:

on a road with a 30 limit,   then the maximum  under perfect, empty, dry, summer evenings, is 30.     not 31.  

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

but thats beside the point, the point is should there be cameras? and is it right to be done if you do "accidently" go over. you could accidently shoot somebody should you not get done for that?

Easy livin's statement was my point. 

It's a lot easier to drift to 31mph in a 30mph zone than it is to go out, buy a gun, load it, and pull the trigger while pointing at someone all by accident.

There should be speed cameras. People who speed dangerously are idiots. People who drift a few mph over occasionally should not be grouped together with them. I don't believe there's a driver on the road who has never gone over a limit at some point.

3 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I assume most people who agree with this are non drivers (you can spot them a mile off), if your a driver and you say you've never encroached the speed limit your a liar

You seem to be making the assumption that all drivers hate speed cameras and all non drivers love them.

I'm a driver of many decades and can categorically state that on pretty much every occasion that I drive, I exceed the speed limit at least once.  I choose when to do it, where to do it and by how much. In my defence, I have never had an accident, never had a single motoring conviction and have never been caught by a speed camera.  

I'm certainly not advocating speeding. Everyone should drive to the limit of their own skills but I'd be quite happy to see the number of speed cameras double because they not only catch motorists speeding but they also catch mmotorists who are not paying attention which has caused many more accidents than speeding ever has.

44 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

Lord Harwood was caught doing well over 70 in his limousine a few years ago , The Judge found him not guilty due to our Lord listening to a classical music crescendo finito .

Perhaps the old Judge was just a music lover.

I believe another Lord from around these parts was also let off for speeding on the Motorway perhaps its who you know guilty or not.

My van wain't do 70 ,problem solved on that one.

Come off it albert, what van is it  a commer or a ford trader? my truck is 15yrs old and does more than that.

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You seem to be making the assumption that all drivers hate speed cameras and all non drivers love them.

I'm a driver of many decades and can categorically state that on pretty much every occasion that I drive, I exceed the speed limit at least once.  I choose when to do it, where to do it and by how much. In my defence, I have never had an accident, never had a single motoring conviction and have never been caught by a speed camera.  

I'm certainly not advocating speeding. Everyone should drive to the limit of their own skills but I'd be quite happy to see the number of speed cameras double because they not only catch motorists speeding but they also catch mmotorists who are not paying attention which has caused many more accidents than speeding ever has.

How does a camera catch someone not paying attention?

I’ve had three speeding convictions in 35yrs , no accidents whatsoever, I drive for perhaps 2-3 hours minimum every day with the amount of cameras around it’s very difficult to avoid.

Still of the opinion that they are nothing to do with safety as there are many other things that could be done if that was the main reason for them, easy money no more no less.

23 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

How does a camera catch someone not paying attention?

Please tell me that's not a serious question? 😵

19 hours ago, andyofborg said:

there is a very easy and legal way to avoid being caught by a speed camera and that is to drive at the legal limit.  

Or simply slow down to the limit when approaching a scamera , then speed up after .

18 hours ago, Easy livin said:

so your claim is that you can drink as long as your not caught.
but you cant speed because of the cameras?

Of course you can ......... just slow to the limit as you get to one. 

Drivers are the last people who should be involved in making decisions on speed limits.

Pedestrians, residents, cyclists, horse riders, parents, etc. The people who have to share the roads with the selfish morons in their fast, noisy, dangerous, 2tonne isolation machines.

Driver, pedestrian, resident, cyclist, etc.