The french treat speed cameras exactly as they should be treat

22 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

I have just got a ticket for doing 35 miles per hour at the bottom of a steepish hill , The hill is forty M.P.H. and at the bottom it turns into a 30 M.P.H. You break for the corner and adjust your speed , I use the route every day as do thousands of others keeping up with the traffic flow . A few weeks go the Traffic management van parked on a grass verge just 200 yards from that  bend and must have got  75% of the cars that turned that corner as its just about impossible not to.

I have been offered a a course to tell me how to drive at a cost to me ,this after 60 years of driving , lorry 's , motor bikes ,cars, dumpers and so on . 

If I  am guilty of a the crime of speeding at 35 miles per hour how can they then let me off by charging me a fee to listen to some one tell me how to drive . It proves that it is a money making process.

I don't understand, you've said that 'You break for the corner and adjust your speed ', so how come you couldn't adjust it to 30mph instead of 35mph? (your indicated speed would probably be around 38mph)

12 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Its been reported that the French in their current fantastic fight back against what their government/s have imposed on them have destroyed 60% of the cameras in the country, fantastic work and at least a nation can see these hideous stealth tax grabbers for what they are, lets hope they get to the remaining 40%, good to see a people with a backbone standing up for themselves, vive la France.

It’s also been reported that all those caught (or found through enquiries) to have done so are prosecuted, with the State duly filing a complaint in damages at indemnity level, and cop for a criminal sentence plus obligation to reimburse all damages with interests. Recent example (there are many more).

Do you know how much a speed camera costs? Upwards of €50k. A group of a dozen or so were sentenced for torching a toll on a motorway in 2013: €500k’s worth of damages to be repaid between themselves.

Feel free to demonstrate. But freedom of demonstration does not come with freedom to inflict criminal damage.

Especially since taxpayers end up paying for it - thrice (reports yesterday that France is beginning to lose out to Germany & Luxembourg for Brexit ex-UK relocations of business, because of scale & duration of hi-vis hacker protests scaring relocating businesses: now the French won’t get as many extra jobs and corporate tax towards improving their lot).

All actions have consequences. Mindless ones usually have the worst/most extensive. Plus ça change.

Edited by L00b

13 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Its been reported that the French in their current fantastic fight back against what their government/s have imposed on them have destroyed 60% of the cameras in the country, fantastic work and at least a nation can see these hideous stealth tax grabbers for what they are, lets hope they get to the remaining 40%, good to see a people with a backbone standing up for themselves, vive la France.

Speed cameras, safety cameras, why don't the powers to be just admit what these bloody things really are, Revenue Generating Cameras.

"""A speed camera believed to be the most lucrative in the UK has raked in £1.5m in fines in just six months, raising as much revenue as a "successful medium-sized business".

A camera on the North Circular Road in London was responsible for around a third of all speeding tickets issued in the capital, according to figures released by the Metropolitan Police."""    Tell me again why these things are in existence.

Source, The Telegraph.

Just to add, do away with the monetary fines and give 3 points for the offence, then we would believe cameras are there for "safety" reasons.

Angel1

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

If speed cameras were about safety then change the rules. Remove the fines and just give out points instead.

4 points for breaking the speed limit that way a repeat offender only gets 3 bites at the cherry then license gone for two years. What safer way to deal with repeat offenders aka dangerous drivers than to remove their driving privileges thus taking said dangerous drivers off the road making it safer for the rest of us?

2 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Speed cameras, safety cameras, why don't the powers to be just admit what these bloody things really are, Revenue Generating Cameras.

"""A speed camera believed to be the most lucrative in the UK has raked in £1.5m in fines in just six months, raising as much revenue as a "successful medium-sized business".

A camera on the North Circular Road in London was responsible for around a third of all speeding tickets issued in the capital, according to figures released by the Metropolitan Police."""    Tell me again why these things are in existence.

Source, The Telegraph.

Angel1

Hypothetically speaking, if the cameras didn't generate revenue because everyone stuck to the limit.

What would your opinion be?

3 hours ago, Albert smith said:

then let me off by charging me a fee to listen to some one tell me how to drive .

Just out of interest, who do you think should cover the cost of speed awareness courses?

4 minutes ago, K1Machine said:

If speed cameras were about safety then change the rules. Remove the fines and just give out points instead.

4 points for breaking the speed limit that way a repeat offender only gets 3 bites at the cherry then license gone for two years. What safer way to deal with repeat offenders aka dangerous drivers than to remove their driving privileges thus taking said dangerous drivers off the road making it safer for the rest of us?

The fine is in addition to points

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

The fine is in addition to points

I realize that.

1 minute ago, K1Machine said:

I realize that.

So are you suggesting more points instead of a fine?

Just now, SnailyBoy said:

So are you suggesting more points instead of a fine?

Yes. I think it would send a stronger message.

Just now, K1Machine said:

Yes. I think it would send a stronger message.

Why not both then, that would be even stronger?

23 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

yet again

no speeding

no fine

no revenue