The french treat speed cameras exactly as they should be treat

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

UK CASH COW: Speed cameras are NOT for safety but make LOTS of money, admit police

SPEED cameras on the Britain’s motorways may be permanently switched-on in an unashamed police bid to fleece motorists and patch-up swingeing Government cuts to force budgets.

Source, Express.

Angel1.

Oh dear 😊

1 hour ago, woodview said:

Do you imagine drivers want unrestricted limits wherever??

We've already heard the moaning on this thread about the injustice of decades-old speed limits, and their (lack of) relevance to modern vehicles.

The implicit extraction from that moaning is that limits should be raised to reflect the safety standards of modern vehicles.

Which is, and I really shouldn't have to point this out, is anti social, and selfish.

(I don't care how safe your car is, fast cars make our streets unpleasant, noisy, and dangerous - to everyone else)

Edited by ads36

4 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

UK CASH COW: Speed cameras are NOT for safety but make LOTS of money, admit police

SPEED cameras on the Britain’s motorways may be permanently switched-on in an unashamed police bid to fleece motorists and patch-up swingeing Government cuts to force budgets.

Source, Express.

Angel1.

It's no wonder you didn't give a link to the article that quote is from. It's from 5 Nov 2015!

4 minutes ago, ads36 said:

We've already heard the moaning on this thread about the injustice of decades-old speed limits, and their (lack of) relevance to modern vehicles.

The implicit extraction from that moaning is that limits should be raised to reflect the safety standards of modern vehicles.

Modern cars also have far more distractions for drivers than old ones - and that's before you start on things like mobile phones. If speed limits are going to be reviewed to reflect the better brakes, etc. of modern cars, it makes sense to review the effects of other things that will affect overall stopping distances.

Same as CCTV Im all for it. If your not doin owt wrong ya dont done.  :roll:

One thousand, eight hundred people, are killed every year, because we can't behave ourselves while driving.

And a further twenty thousand are seriously injured.

There's an argument to be made for dash-cams facing the driver.

Trigger the Gammon-rage! :)

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

If your not doin owt wrong ya dont done.  :roll:

I'm sorry?

55 minutes ago, ads36 said:

One thousand, eight hundred people, are killed every year, because we can't behave ourselves while driving.

And a further twenty thousand are seriously injured.

There's an argument to be made for dash-cams facing the driver.

Trigger the Gammon-rage! :)

Road deaths and injuries per year are declining over time despite more and more vehicles being on the road. It's getting safer, not more dangerous.

One of the reasons that the roads have got safer* is that people have learned to avoid roads without the protection of a car.

* 1800 people dead, per year, is a disgraceful number, it's a long way from safe. Which is frustrating, as we could do a few simple things to make a big difference.

Simple things like :

black box recorders, and re-tests every 5 years.

Like motorbikes, place a limit on the engine size that new drivers can drive. 1 litre? Or even better, those awesome 600c 'kei' cars.

and then, and advanced test for anything bigger.

lives would be saved, and insurance costs would come down. 

none of these things will happen, because of the imaginary 'war on the precious motorist' - chuffing snowflakes!

5 hours ago, ads36 said:

(I don't care how safe your car is, fast cars make our streets unpleasant, noisy, and dangerous - to everyone else)

Streets definitely, but there is actually both an economic and environmental argument for raising the motorway speed limit to 80mph.

6 hours ago, ads36 said:

Which is, and I really shouldn't have to point this out, is anti social, and selfish.

So you've extrapolated the views of one or two on here to the general driving population? Might need to re-think that one.

I'd love to be wrong about this. I'd love to hear that the British public backed a move to slow down traffic, to reduce rat-running, to create a network of 'living streets' around schools and residential areas.

Wherever this gets mentioned, it's met with stiff opposition.