The french treat speed cameras exactly as they should be treat

1 minute ago, Easy livin said:

go on then.  whats your weekly milleage?

I'd guess about 400 miles a week on average.

3 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

These "limits" were set nearly 60 years ago, the vehicles then were a totally different beast than the ones today, I'd like to bet that I do more miles in a week than you do in a month, I see more incidents caused by elderly drivers, young drivers and drivers without confidence than I do concerning people doing 1mph over an archaic speed limit, today I saw a car pull straight into the path of another one then turn up a one way street the wrong way near Bernard Rd, the driver will not be getting a fine through the post.

2 wrongs DONT make a right

2 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

so drive at 24,  26,  28,    instead of trying so  hard to   line 30 with that needle.

Driving at 24 in a 30 is more likely to cause an accident then 30 or 31 in a 30 because of the sheer frustration you'll cause to impatient drivers who will end up attempting dangerous manoeuvres.

And if you're trying to say you've never drifted 1 or 2 mph over a speed limit, you either don't drive, or you're a liar.

2 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

i was out of the uk in December for 16 days,
my december milleage  then was not as high as  normal.  it was only  2899.

so.   just over 1400 a week.

i am looking forward to your number.

Yeah ok 😂

I'd guess about 400 miles a week on average.

i do almost that much and have no problems with driving at or under the speed limit or speed cameras

Edited by andyofborg

I actually happen to believe that speed cameras are both revenue raising and to improve road safety but like most forms of taxation it is completely voluntary.

The regulations in the UK covering speed camera positioning and speed limits in force, are pretty much the strictest in Europe (and they don't flash directly in your eyes as they do in France!)

To be honest, you have to be pretty dumb to be caught by a speed camera in the UK. For god's sake, they even paint them bright yellow! 🙄

Just now, andyofborg said:

i do almost that much and have no problems with driving at or under the speed limit

I didn't say I did, I said the amount of incidents I see on the roads during this time are rarely related to speed.

I've thought for a long time that this once great nation has become a laughing stock due to our acceptance of mediocrity at a high price (look at our trains, the most expensive and worst in Europe as an example) we're happy to sit back and be ripped off wholesale. A cross section of the replies on this thread sadly confounds what I thought, quite disturbing really to think back to how the country fought for its pride in world wars and now meekly accept whatevers is thrown at us without a fight.

Goodnight and again, vive la France, keep it up you brave warriors.

1 minute ago, Easy livin said:

have a fact or two.

the average speed through a city is less than 20mph.     24 will not  frustrate a safe driver because they know that in 200metres,  are some more traffic lights.
and i dont drive to a limit. i  also  drive a diesel van, and like to hit 50mpg.   so i drive safely.  

i assume you  just called me a liar on the milleage,  want me to upload the gpx  files?   every single mile i drive is tracked.
its a mark of maturity to know when your  wrong.         and   your wrong.

I called you a liar on your speeding claim. Never drifted to 71mph on the motorway? Or 30mph on a clear, unpopulated side road? Or 51mph on a dual carriageway marked 50? I don't believe you, sorry.

I didn't say I did, I said the amount of incidents I see on the roads during this time are rarely related to speed.

I've thought for a long time that this once great nation has become a laughing stock due to our acceptance of mediocrity at a high price (look at our trains, the most expensive and worst in Europe as an example) we're happy to sit back and be ripped off wholesale. A cross section of the replies on this thread sadly confounds what I thought, quite disturbing really to think back to how the country fought for its pride in world wars and now meekly accept whatevers is thrown at us without a fight.

Goodnight and again, vive la France, keep it up you brave warriors.

didnt know the nazis had speed cameras :rolleyes:

Just now, smithy266 said:

How many points on your licence Brooker11?

None.

I have just got a ticket for doing 35 miles per hour at the bottom of a steepish hill , The hill is forty M.P.H. and at the bottom it turns into a 30 M.P.H. You break for the corner and adjust your speed , I use the route every day as do thousands of others keeping up with the traffic flow . A few weeks go the Traffic management van parked on a grass verge just 200 yards from that  bend and must have got  75% of the cars that turned that corner as its just about impossible not to.

I have been offered a a course to tell me how to drive at a cost to me ,this after 60 years of driving , lorry 's , motor bikes ,cars, dumpers and so on . 

If I  am guilty of a the crime of speeding at 35 miles per hour how can they then let me off by charging me a fee to listen to some one tell me how to drive . It proves that it is a money making process.