M1 north meadowhall, traffic lights

The traffic lights on the M1 North at Meadowhall were not working at 21.00.  09\01\19

For anyone wanting to use them in the morning it may be best to check traffic reports.

Edited by Thorpist
info

They’ve been out since at least Sunday. 

I don't use Meadowhall often so it was news to me, as I didn't see any other warnings I presumed they had only recently broken.

Yikes I went through them late at about 4pm on Saturday and they were off then.  The Blackburn Road signals were on, don't know whether Kimberworth/Meadowbank Road signals were working, but definitely the north end of the viaduct, and the ones at the junction with Meadowhall Road weren't working.

I've been through them everyday this week at around 4.45pm and the traffic has been flowing better than ever.
Drivers are taking care and letting others out of junctions and their is no stop start as you get around the roundabout.
All of the lights are out all the way around the roundabout.

32 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

I've been through them everyday this week at around 4.45pm and the traffic has been flowing better than ever.

There was a famous incident a few years back about which I can't recall the exact details, where the lights at a busy junction were out for a week for roadworks and replacement of the lights. 

The throughput of traffic through the junction during that week was something like 20% higher than when it was controlled by lights. Unfortunately some lights, like speed ramps are there simply either to spend central government money which will be lost if not spend, or in reaction to vociferous local road safety campaigns.

I wonder how much more difficult / dangerous it became for people trying to cross the road?

Edited by ads36

Someone hit the box that controls all lights hence the lights out 

I use it everyday, the traffic has been the best I've ever seen it, smooth flowing, no hassles, everyone waiting patiently.

Why don't they leave them off.   

Alot of people have been saying the traffic flow has been especially good there since the lights stopped working.

All this outcry over air pollution (especially in that area) and simple things light light timings at junctions are still significant contributors to the problem.

Have to admit the traffic has been flowing much better since the lights have been off. Shame we can't trial it at many other junctions across the city, to see if it improves traffic flow and congestion at these junctions too.

I remember the traffic at J36 on the M1 used to flow better before they stuck loads of lights on it as well.