Motherboard longevity

Microsoft's idea of Windows as a service and quality assurance with two featured updates per year is poor.
Their 1809 release is a case in point, it was pulled after users complained of deleted files, even though
the problem had been highlighted by some of their insider preview testers. In addition some Winows 10 Pro
users complained of their machines becoming Windows 10 Home machines.

Users of Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise/Education can delay installation of updates, alas this option is not available to
Windows 10 Home users, and yet this is the very group most vunerable to broken updates with the least resources
to correct any issues created by a defective update.

My main machine runs Windows 7, and I will be begin looking for a replacement in a couple of months.

4 hours ago, geared said:

Windows 10 doesn't like you upgrading the motherboard, there are some tricks to get around the problem though.

What gives you this impression? I built a full new machine (as I said a few posts up) and installed Windows 10, logged into my MS acc't and Windows activated fine...

Have also 'upgraded' a couple more machines with board swaps then fresh install without any activation issues also...

My last ASUS MB lasted four years and died (no boot) last September which was very unfortunate. The one previous (another ASUS) lasted well over 10 years. My current MB is a Gigabyte (bought in haste). The question about hardware and OS compatibility becomes irrelevant if you use virtualisation software. My current setup runs Linux (Fedora 29 XFCE) and has Virtualbox installed. This allows me to run XP, Win7, 8, 10 all at once if I choose. XP is useful because it has all our older PCB and Coreldraw designs whereas Win 7 is probably the best OS. W10 is way too intrusive but it still works OK. With a decent processor and plenty of RAM, the virtualised OSs run just the same (and as fast) as normal. A large shared drive allows all OSs to share files with the bonus that Linux can delete any file Windows decides is un-deletable. Backing the share drive up to an ext4 formatted disk gives security and no access to Windows (so it can't mess the files up). This setup may be a little more complicated but it IS bombproof!  

I've been testing Windows 10 on an 11 year old Acer Veriton L460  with a Pentium Dual core1.6Ghz, 4Gb RAM and an SSD and it was surprisingly fast - faster than 7 or 8.

And all drivers were present, which surprised me no end.

13 hours ago, Ghozer said:

What gives you this impression? I built a full new machine (as I said a few posts up) and installed Windows 10, logged into my MS acc't and Windows activated fine...

Have also 'upgraded' a couple more machines with board swaps then fresh install without any activation issues also...

I had issues a while back with it.  Somethnig you can solve but it wasn't as straightforward as it used to be with previous versions of windows.

https://scottiestech.info/2017/02/26/upgrade-your-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows-10/

12 hours ago, Afilsdesigne said:

My last ASUS MB lasted four years and died (no boot) last September which was very unfortunate. The one previous (another ASUS) lasted well over 10 years. My current MB is a Gigabyte (bought in haste). The question about hardware and OS compatibility becomes irrelevant if you use virtualisation software. My current setup runs Linux (Fedora 29 XFCE) and has Virtualbox installed. This allows me to run XP, Win7, 8, 10 all at once if I choose. XP is useful because it has all our older PCB and Coreldraw designs whereas Win 7 is probably the best OS. W10 is way too intrusive but it still works OK. With a decent processor and plenty of RAM, the virtualised OSs run just the same (and as fast) as normal. A large shared drive allows all OSs to share files with the bonus that Linux can delete any file Windows decides is un-deletable. Backing the share drive up to an ext4 formatted disk gives security and no access to Windows (so it can't mess the files up). This setup may be a little more complicated but it IS bombproof!  

Hi Afilsdesigne,

Your post reminded me of an instance where I inadvertently picked up a virus in XP which Panda Anti-virus quarantined but would not delete - I booted into the GNU/Linux OS at the time and deleted the offending files. It was good to see askubuntu not being an OS bigot by listing Fedora  29 as one of the best 5 distributions of 2018 but I think it was promoting the Plasma (KDE) Desktop. I don't know if Plasma has progressed any but I do remember having to get used to the intricacies that Plasma brought with it in Netrunner 15.