Female development question

Embarrassed single Dad asking what is possibly a stupid question but here goes.

My daughters boobs are developing but one is significantly larger than the other.  Is this normal or should I take her to the GP?

Thanks.

I wouldn’t think the question is stupid, I would ask why you think it’s embarrassing though. If you or your daughter have a concern, go see your GP, I’m sure he or she will put your concern to rest.

Very normal. They balance out usually.

If you are bra shopping the range of smaller sizes and appropriate styles at Matalan is highly recommended.

7 hours ago, Andbreathe said:

I wouldn’t think the question is stupid, I would ask why you think it’s embarrassing though. If you or your daughter have a concern, go see your GP, I’m sure he or she will put your concern to rest.

Its embarrassing for the fact I should really know about this sort of thing. Ive been the sole carer for almost 2 years now. This is something I really should have made my business to find out if im honest.

1 hour ago, Stranza said:

Very normal. They balance out usually.

If you are bra shopping the range of smaller sizes and appropriate styles at Matalan is highly recommended.

Great stuff. Thank you for that. Ill take her this weekend.

Thank you again.

It's important for you to know that although they balance out as they grow, a degree of imbalance is normal, in the same way that faces are rarely symmetrical.  It's usual that the dominant side is a little smaller, and it's common for the difference to be a whole cup size. 

Given that puberty is a tough time for both boys and girls, and that girls who develop early get bullied for it and girls that develop late get bullied for it (and girls that have big boobs get bullied for it, and girls that have small boobs get bullied for it), it's also wise to assume that any visible difference will get picked on, sadly.  All of this is, of course, fabulous for the self esteem and doesn't cause girls to get hung up on the minutiae of their appearance at all 🙄

The most appropriate thing that you can do as a dad if she talks to you about it is to hug her, tell her that although it's likely to even out as she develops, not being symmetrical is normal and that all of the other girls at school will be worried in exactly the same way about something to do with their appearance that's troubling them.  Knowing that nobody is completely OK with how they look, particularly at this age, should be a bit of reassurance for her. 

I personally never noticed this about my own body until a boyfriend helpfully pointed it out, but he was the critical sort. When my husband and I first got together and I asked him about it, he said, "what are you talking about? They look just fine to me!" So I married him! 😍

All kidding aside, you sound like a great dad and I think your girl will be ok. Medusa is right about puberty being a tough time for kids. Just let her know that she can continue to come to you for advice about ANYTHING and that there is nothing wrong with her body.  

12 hours ago, medusa said:

It's important for you to know that although they balance out as they grow, a degree of imbalance is normal, in the same way that faces are rarely symmetrical.  It's usual that the dominant side is a little smaller, 

What does the dominant side mean it this context?

On 12/01/2019 at 12:07, Janus said:

I read it as being left or right handed?

On 11/01/2019 at 23:40, medusa said:

It's important for you to know that although they balance out as they grow, a degree of imbalance is normal, in the same way that faces are rarely symmetrical.  It's usual that the dominant side is a little smaller, and it's common for the difference to be a whole cup size. 

Given that puberty is a tough time for both boys and girls, and that girls who develop early get bullied for it and girls that develop late get bullied for it (and girls that have big boobs get bullied for it, and girls that have small boobs get bullied for it), it's also wise to assume that any visible difference will get picked on, sadly.  All of this is, of course, fabulous for the self esteem and doesn't cause girls to get hung up on the minutiae of their appearance at all 🙄

The most appropriate thing that you can do as a dad if she talks to you about it is to hug her, tell her that although it's likely to even out as she develops, not being symmetrical is normal and that all of the other girls at school will be worried in exactly the same way about something to do with their appearance that's troubling them.  Knowing that nobody is completely OK with how they look, particularly at this age, should be a bit of reassurance for her. 

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply and I have taken on board everything you have said. I now feel way more equipped to help my daughter on this issue thanks to you. The bit about the dominant side makes a lot of sense (if i understand it correctly) as she is left handed and it is her left breast which is the smaller one so this has made me feel much better about the whole thing and I have passed this on to my daughter who also feels much better now.

Thank you again from a very grateful Dad.

On 12/01/2019 at 01:59, Sierra said:

I personally never noticed this about my own body until a boyfriend helpfully pointed it out, but he was the critical sort. When my husband and I first got together and I asked him about it, he said, "what are you talking about? They look just fine to me!" So I married him! 😍

All kidding aside, you sound like a great dad and I think your girl will be ok. Medusa is right about puberty being a tough time for kids. Just let her know that she can continue to come to you for advice about ANYTHING and that there is nothing wrong with her body.  

Thank you. That's lovely of you to say :)

On 12/01/2019 at 12:07, Janus said:

In the same way that your dominant and arm are usually bigger than the other side (visible on skeletons as well as musculature and joints) usually the pectoral muscle on that side is normally better developed, and whether it's because of this being more developed or not, it does usually follow that if you're right handed, your left breast is usually measurably bigger than your right.  It may be millimetres, it may be more, it's only a tendency, so I'm sure that there are women who are genuinely symmetrical and those who buck the trend.  Men tend to have a similar thing with their testicles (just so you know that it's not women being strange!).

I've had an interesting one over the years (dominance rather than boob related).  Because I was born right handed but lost most of the power and use in my right arm because of surgery to remove a tumour, it's taken 20 years to be reversed, but my larger hand is now my smaller hand, my knuckles and wrist on my right side are now smaller than my left.  Bodies are dynamic things and they respond to the relative forces applied to them year in and year out.

4 minutes ago, K1Machine said:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply and I have taken on board everything you have said. I now feel way more equipped to help my daughter on this issue thanks to you. The bit about the dominant side makes a lot of sense (if i understand it correctly) as she is left handed and it is her left breast which is the smaller one so this has made me feel much better about the whole thing and I have passed this on to my daughter who also feels much better now.

Thank you again from a very grateful Dad.

You're welcome :)  Never be scared of asking straight up questions- it's the only way to get the answers that make life easier :)

Can this really be Sheffield Forum? Not one crass joke. 

Some very good replies and the very first one is really excellent advice.

16 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Can this really be Sheffield Forum? Not one crass joke. 

Some very good replies and the very first one is really excellent advice.

There is such a thing as a 'delete' button, you know ;)