Verdon street, pitsmoor

As a small boy after the war, my father used to take me to visit his parents on Verdon Street. I now remember very little about it, except hazy recollections. I can remember back to back houses, and my grandad ('Briz' Browes)sitting over the fire communicating little and being fussed over by my grandma (Elizabeth - I think). There were occasions, I'm sure, when I used to go down to Kynoch's(?) to fetch him a jug of beer. I can also remember charabanc (Kirby's?)trips to Scarborough or Cleethorpes, organised by people on the street  for the kids. I had an Auntie May who lived in a back to back across the road and had a son called Malcolm whom I used to possibly play with.

I have tried to find visible evidence of where they all lived, but failed to discover any old photos or documentary evidence of their existence. I just wonder if there is anyone out there who could pass on any info relating to the place time - or even people. I have reached the age where I find it sad that I know nothing about my fathers's family and would dearly love to have something to pass on to my children

27 minutes ago, nottafulshillin said:

As a small boy after the war, my father used to take me to visit his parents on Verdon Street. I now remember very little about it, except hazy recollections. I can remember back to back houses, and my grandad ('Briz' Browes)sitting over the fire communicating little and being fussed over by my grandma (Elizabeth - I think). There were occasions, I'm sure, when I used to go down to Kynoch's(?) to fetch him a jug of beer. I can also remember charabanc (Kirby's?)trips to Scarborough or Cleethorpes, organised by people on the street  for the kids. I had an Auntie May who lived in a back to back across the road and had a son called Malcolm whom I used to possibly play with.

I have tried to find visible evidence of where they all lived, but failed to discover any old photos or documentary evidence of their existence. I just wonder if there is anyone out there who could pass on any info relating to the place time - or even people. I have reached the age where I find it sad that I know nothing about my fathers's family and would dearly love to have something to pass on to my children

Try Picture Sheffield,ask for Verdon St,  photo s20202 + 4 others

22 minutes ago, nottafulshillin said:

If you have access to Facebook try 'Pitsmoorians of the Past' there are a lot of people on there that have talked about that immediate area (Verdon Street, Montford Road, Neville Street etc) and people on SF too. The pub you refer to, Kynoch's (the licensee) was the Albion Tavern. Good luck.

My gtgrandparents  lived at 75  Verdon street in 1881. Prior to that they were at 11 Handley Street which was nearby.

Edited by johnpm

Not sure if these are yours but may be a start,

1948 Dir. has

62 Verdon Street, Wm.J. Browes

Sheffield Indexers has,

BROWES, William J (Retired, age 66).
     Died at 62 Verdon Street; Buried on May 10, 1951 in General ground; 
     Grave Number 16, Section O2 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, F A Gartside: Removed from Sheffield Parish.
     Plot Owner: of . Page No 

BROWES, Elizabeth (Widow, age 67).
     Died at Lodge Moor Hospital; Buried on April 12, 1954 in General ground; 
     Grave Number 16, Section O2 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Removed from Sheffield Parish.
     Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 

My sincere thanks to all of you for the above information. I now know where my grandparents were buried and I have a photo of 'Kynoch's".

When my info is complete I will also have the ordered photo of Verdon Street to attach.

I do have a great dilemma re Facebook though. Social networking has always been anathema to me but there is big temptation to pursue 'Pitsmoorians of the Past'!

Thank you again.

my aunt Lily lived on this street half way down on the right, she had daughter Annette{Ann} and Cheryl. lost touch many many years ago but spent a lot of time up there when young

1939 register,  62 Verdon Street, Sheffield.

William J. Browes, born 22 Oct 1884, Inapacitated, married.

Elizabeth Browes, born 28 May 1888, domestic duties, married.

Stanley Browes, born 11 Nov 1915, Spade and shovel general labourer, single.

Albert Browes, born 26 Oct 1921, Fruit carter, single.

James E. Browes, born 30 June 1914, Engineer maintenance fitter, married.

Edith Browes, born 12 June 1910, domestic duties, married.

William J. Wright, born 14 Jan 1875, Firewood hawker, widower.

(Four records are closed).

1901 census, 130 Sheffield Road, Dronfield, Dby.

James Browes, head, mar, 41yrs, Spade & shovel plater, born Dronfield, Dby.

Elizabeth A. Browes, wife, 39yrs, born Redruth, Cornwall.

WILLIAM J. Browes, son, 16yrs, Spade & shovel heater, born Dronfield.

George E. Browes, son, 10yrs, born Dronfield.

Albert Browes, son, 7yrs, born Dronfield.

Ada Browes, dau, 6yrs, born Dronfield.

Harold Browes, son, 3yrs, born Dronfield.

Fred Browes, son, 1yr, born Dronfield.

Evelyn Browes, dau, 13yrs, born Dronfield.

By 1911 this family are still at the same address, Elizabeth is now a widow  and her sons George Edward, Albert, Harold,

Fred and Samuel aged 8yrs are with her.

My thanks again to you all for the info. I have now to delve deeper to see if any order can be placed to the above.

I am sure that the people above are my grandfather and mother but my dad is not mentioned. The Dronfield connection is interesting, as that is where I lived at birth.  Why were our parents so coy about discussing their families, etc?!!!

Here is the 1911 census entry.

2 Alexandra Road, Dronfield, Dby.

Willam James Browes,  head, 26yrs, Spade & shovel plater, born Dronfield.

Elizabeth Browes, wife, 23yrs, born Lescoe/Lesker? Yks.

George William Browes, son, 5yrs, born Dronfield.

Arthur Browes, son, 2yrs, born Dronfield.

John George Draycott, Brother-in-Law, 25yrs, labourer coalmin above ground, born Normanton, Yks.

James Levi Draycott, Brother-in-Law, 17yrs, labourer coal mine above ground, born Dronfield,

Marriage, 7 August 1905, St John the Baptist, Dronfield.

William James Browes, 20yrs, father-James Edward Outram Browes.

Elizabeth Draycott, 18yrs, father-John George Draycott.

These are the birth registrations I have found where the mothers maiden name is Draycott.  (From 'FreeBMD').

It gives the quarter the birth was registered and the place.

Arthur Browes,   Dec Q  1908, Chesterfield.

Lily Browes, June Q  1912, Chesterfield.

James E. Browes, Sep Q  1914, Chesterfield.

Stanley Browes, Dec Q 1915, Chesterfield.

Beatrice M. Browes, Mar Q  1920, Chesterfield.

Albert Browes, Dec Q  1921. Chesterfield.

Ronald Browes, Sep Q  1925, Sheffield.

Fred Browes, June Q  1933, Sheffield.

Is your father in the above list?

Marriage Sheffield Indexers,

BROWES, Stanley (Bachelor, age 34, Assistant Roller, residing at 62 Verdon St Pitsmoor).
    Married Kathleen RAWSON, on December 23, 1950, by G W P Adkins (Banns) at 
    Christ Church, Attercliffe.  Father's name is William James Browes (Shovel Plater).
    Married in the presence of Ronald Browes,Edith Rawson.
    Notes: The Christ Church Chapel.
    Page No: 17 Reg No: 34

Thank you again!

These answer a lot of questions and pose even more!!

My father is certainly the 'Arthur' mentioned above but I do not recall any other brothers living at no. 62 Verdon Street on my visits. These probably stopped around the early 50s. There was an  Aunt,  'May',  who lived in a back to back across the road,  and I have a vague memory of a Lily.  May had a son called Malcolm, I think, who was last heard of running a pub in Bakewell. He could still be alive. Strange she isn't mentioned - I wonder if she was 'inherited'? Ron, I think, lived on Low Edges at some point - I can remember Christmas Cards. I can remember talk of Fred, the younger brother, but don't remember him.

The Dronfield connection is both puzzling and interesting as mum and dad lived at 7 Alexandra Road when I was born - I suspect that the '2' should have read '7' as I don't think there was a no. 2 . This might throw some light on an old photograph (one of very few) in my possession, with no info on it, but which I have always felt was taken outside no 7 Alexandra Road. 

Is my 80th year the time to start this research? I can't see how I can stop now! But I suspect progress may be slow!