Verdon street, pitsmoor

Arthur's sister Beatrice M. (May) whose birth was registered in the March quarter of 1920, was actually born at the end

of 1919 at Dronfield, so the birth was not registered until 1920.

There is a marriage in the December quarter of 1940 in Sheffield, Beatrice M. Browes to Thomas Paget.

There is then a birth registration in the June quarter of 1941 in Sheffield of a Malcolm Paget, mothers maiden name is Browes.

I have checked the 1911 census and the family are at  number 2.  Number 7 has one middle aged female living there.

Perhaps she moved out soon after and your family moved in.

12 hours ago, nottafulshillin said:

Thank you again!

These answer a lot of questions and pose even more!!

My father is certainly the 'Arthur' mentioned above but I do not recall any other brothers living at no. 62 Verdon Street on my visits. These probably stopped around the early 50s. There was an  Aunt,  'May',  who lived in a back to back across the road,  and I have a vague memory of a Lily.  May had a son called Malcolm, I think, who was last heard of running a pub in Bakewell. He could still be alive. Strange she isn't mentioned - I wonder if she was 'inherited'? Ron, I think, lived on Low Edges at some point - I can remember Christmas Cards. I can remember talk of Fred, the younger brother, but don't remember him.

The Dronfield connection is both puzzling and interesting as mum and dad lived at 7 Alexandra Road when I was born - I suspect that the '2' should have read '7' as I don't think there was a no. 2 . This might throw some light on an old photograph (one of very few) in my possession, with no info on it, but which I have always felt was taken outside no 7 Alexandra Road. 

Is my 80th year the time to start this research? I can't see how I can stop now! But I suspect progress may be slow!

There was a Fred Browes who lived on Langsett Road Sheffield, don't know if he's still there must be over 10 years since Iast saw him.

Just joined the Forum after reading about the Browes family from Verdon Street.

Beatrice May Browes was my Mother. Her 1st husband died in the 2nd world war. My eldest brother was Malcolm who did have a pub in Bakewell many years ago, he has since passed away.

My mother married Harry Boyes, my father , I had a elder sister called Kathleen who recently passed away. We lived at 9/3 Verdon Street until 1959 when the houses were demolished under the slum clearance.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 18:44, Tangoboyes said:

Just joined the Forum after reading about the Browes family from Verdon Street.

Beatrice May Browes was my Mother. Her 1st husband died in the 2nd world war. My eldest brother was Malcolm who did have a pub in Bakewell many years ago, he has since passed away.

My mother married Harry Boyes, my father , I had a elder sister called Kathleen who recently passed away. We lived at 9/3 Verdon Street until 1959 when the houses were demolished under the slum clearance.

I have just read this old thread with interest but thought I would question the clearance date you give as 1959.

I used to play in the old back to backs on Verdon Street in the 60s and around 1970/71 and remember the houses still there then although empty we used to collect our firewood from them for our bonfire where the school is now.

I also remember a barbers shop on the end on Bramber Street I think because that is where I had my hair cut as a child

On 08/01/2019 at 23:18, nottafulshillin said:

As a small boy after the war, my father used to take me to visit his parents on Verdon Street. I now remember very little about it, except hazy recollections. I can remember back to back houses, and my grandad ('Briz' Browes)sitting over the fire communicating little and being fussed over by my grandma (Elizabeth - I think). There were occasions, I'm sure, when I used to go down to Kynoch's(?) to fetch him a jug of beer. I can also remember charabanc (Kirby's?)trips to Scarborough or Cleethorpes, organised by people on the street  for the kids. I had an Auntie May who lived in a back to back across the road and had a son called Malcolm whom I used to possibly play with.

I have tried to find visible evidence of where they all lived, but failed to discover any old photos or documentary evidence of their existence. I just wonder if there is anyone out there who could pass on any info relating to the place time - or even people. I have reached the age where I find it sad that I know nothing about my fathers's family and would dearly love to have something to pass on to my children

Just found this from the 1939 Register....62 Verdon St.

Wm J Browes b 1884  (d 1951)

Elizabeth b 1888 (nee Draycott)

Stanley b 1915

Albert b 1921

James E b 1914

Edith b 1910

Plus several others whose records are still closed.

Also a few trees on Ancestry covering your family....hope this is helpful.

The Summersets lived on verdin st in the 70s 

I had thought this topic had run its course and haven't returned to it for a time. It was a very pleasant surprise to find further info (although, again, it poses more questions!).

It was good to get confirmation about Aunty May's existence - I was sure that the back to backs weren't imagined. I would guess 'Tango'  that you are bit younger than me as I don't remember Malcolm having a brother - but I wonder if you remember any coach trips for the kids?

The major point of interest for me now is what happened to my Grandad (William J Browes). Nobody ever talked about the wars in the family and I never knew what had caused whatever illness he had when I visited. I often wonder if he fought in the Great War, and suffered as so many did.

I expect most will have given up on this topic now - but it would be great if any one else could throw more light on Verdon Street and its residents in the 30s, 40s and fifties.

I seem to remember Verdon Street being badly hit in the 1962 gale.

post-188-1219068654.jpg