Reporting road traffic incidents

http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/Contact-Us/Submitting-Dash-Cam-or-Digital-Footage-of-Road-Traffic-Incidents.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2y-WUuEQoAqL0_IRq_ooQKd-xN0iZarNxseaOpGBnHH56XbN5OsmlU6WY

I don't know how new this is from Derbyshire Police as an incentive to report traffic incidents but it was only brought to my attention today.

Is it worth it?

I think I will leave it to the Police to catch criminals, unless the vid clip would be useful for a serious accident where someone was hurt.

Angel1

Yes, it is worth it. Many of those committing serious motoring offences will continue to do so until they receive some training and/or punishment.  Training or prosecuting them could result in them becoming safer drivers and avoid needless deaths, and their remorse for having killed someone. 

The person who originally posted it thought it was great for reporting people running red lights and failing to indicate !!

54 minutes ago, willman said:

The person who originally posted it thought it was great for reporting people running red lights and failing to indicate !!

Red light running is epidemic all around the country tbh. 

I say let's fit RLCs to all traffic lights. 

1. It'll pay for itself from the fines collected

2. Most drivers that do it do so regularly so within a short period will be banned so they'll be less vehicles on the roads. 

The only drawback I can think of based on my experience of RLRs is that we'll have a shortage of taxi/bus/HGV drivers 😆

It can make a difference.

A couple of years ago I was nearly run off my bike by a truck belonging to one of the big delivery outfits. When I overtook him in stationary traffic his window was down and the cab absolutely reeked of skunk smoke. When we stopped at the lights I pointed out his crap driving and got a mouthful of abuse in return.

I got his registration  reported him to the police for without due care and attention and driving a truck while stoned and the Crime Bureau told me that without corroborative evidence, there was little point in investigating it as unless he admitted the offence it would just be filed for NFA.

Video evidence would have made a difference.

The first day I had my car dashcam fitted I followed a van speeding in a built up area, nothing unusual there but he forced oncoming cars to swerve and brake heavily as he overtook parked cars on a narrow street.  He jumped a red light then nearly sideswiped a car on the motorway as he moved out to lane 2 without looking.

I told his company, who later said they spoke to the driver, who denied everything.  

I then sent them a link to the video I uploaded to Youtube.  

Their next email said he'd been dismissed.

I've just got a dashcam, not caught anything interesting yet, apart from someone trying to change lanes into me this morning! I wish I had a rear one too for the tailgaters. I seem to suffer from them, driving an old small car :(

I like the idea. So much road stupidity is happening everyday, if it helps curb some of the potentially deadly idiots, then it is good.

The idea seems good in principal, but the number of people who will just submit videos of average poor driving makes it pretty un-workable.

Some poor copper has to sit through all these videos to see if there's anything worthwhile, I can't see the cash-strapped police having the resources to pay someone to sit on their arse watching YouTube all day long hoping to get a lead on a case.

3 minutes ago, geared said:

The idea seems good in principal, but the number of people who will just submit videos of average poor driving makes it pretty un-workable.

Some poor copper has to sit through all these videos to see if there's anything worthwhile, I can't see the cash-strapped police having the resources to pay someone to sit on their arse watching YouTube all day long hoping to get a lead on a case.

Surely more effective than driving round hoping to stumble on an offence? I civilian employee could review hundreds in a day, just forwarding worthy ones for further review. What will that cost - £25k pa?? good move IMO

Seems easy in principal, but as everyone knows there's an absolute stack of these videos already on YouTube and Facebook, already enough online to last someone a lifetime, I don't know why the police need to ask for more?

If they were serious about it why not chase the people already on film?