Problem with yahoo mail

What on earth has happened to yahoo and yahoo mail.

Every time I want to connect to Yahoo or yahoo mail it won't let me in  but sends me a text "are you trying to log in" or a code  to my phone.

It's really peeing me off as the phone is usually downstairs and the computer is upstairs.

It never used to be like this.

This doesn't happen with my phone.

Nor with gmail

Edited by davyboy
add info

I don't know much about Yahoo mail but from your description it sounds as if you have two step verification turned on.  If it is this you might be able to turn it off - if so, it  could be in the Settings menu. Perhaps this might help.

Yup, sounds like 2FA, you can usually turn that off in settings

Might be totally unrelated, but my Outlook email is also acting strange, can log in fine but often no items show in the inbox / sent / deleted folders, also any composed mails wont send without lots of attempts ... strange, gmail is fine.

Jolie, 

I also noticed a big difference with Yahoo mail compared to how it used to be a year or two ago. 

I am referring to the simplicity of using it on a PC back then.

If an error was made when logging in, it was easy to have the password emailed. Now you have to jump through several hoops-it has become quite a PITA.  It's as if they are paranoid about the logging in security

They also started using something called an account key.

I would have migrated to something else but I have several yahoo email accounts that I've had a long time.