Old sheffield pubs

1 hour ago, beezerboy said:

Whoops , sorry about that, I should have known , I worked in the Hawke St planer shop, E S C. Blame it on being in Canada since "81

As for the Wellington (Brightside Lane) and pub books. A couple of years ago I bought a book written by a lady who was the wife of a licensee, between them running several pubs in the Sheffield area over the years. They ran, amongst others, the Wellington (Brightside Lane), the Wellington (Main Road, Darnall),  the Dog and Partridge (Attercliffe Road) and from one extreme to the other a pub in Holmsfield (or that area). A good book but of course I cannot remember the name of it now. Also, didn't know that the Darnall pub was no more.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

As for the Wellington (Brightside Lane) and pub books. A couple of years ago I bought a book written by a lady who was the wife of a licensee, between them running several pubs in the Sheffield area over the years. They ran, amongst others, the Wellington (Brightside Lane), the Wellington (Main Road, Darnall),  the Dog and Partridge (Attercliffe Road) and from one extreme to the other a pub in Holmsfield (or that area). A good book but of course I cannot remember the name of it now. Also, didn't know that the Darnall pub was no more.

Wellington, Hugh Mottram,  120 Brightside Lane.

Wellington Inn, Edward Murtagh, 222 Main Road, Darnall

1925-1948

Dog & Partridge,  Chas.  Edwd.  Coldwell, 575 Attercliffe Road.

Edited by retep

5 hours ago, beezerboy said:

Whoops , sorry about that, I should have known , I worked in the Hawke St planer shop, E S C. Blame it on being in Canada since "81

On 1/6/2019 at 4:32 PM, St Petre said:

Sheffield Arms, Upwell Street. The pub on Brightside Lane was the Wellington but the junction was Hawke Street, sorry for being  pedantic. However, at the top of Janson Street was the Lampool.

Actually it was the River Don Inn on the opposite corner

40 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

41 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

You're right about the River Don Inn but my reference to the Lampool as it being at the corner of Janson Street and Attercliffe Common.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

You're right about the River Don Inn but my reference to the Lampool as it being at the corner of Janson Street and Attercliffe Common.

Been trying to work out in my head how may pubs were in the immediate Grimesthorpe area  1960's, (Brightside and Page Hall dunt count): Carlisle Street East (1), Botham Street (1), Adsetts Street (1). Upwell Street (2), Upwell Lane (2), Carlisle Road (4) and Grimesthorpe Club.

18 hours ago, St Petre said:

Been trying to work out in my head how may pubs were in the immediate Grimesthorpe area  1960's, (Brightside and Page Hall dunt count): Carlisle Street East (1), Botham Street (1), Adsetts Street (1). Upwell Street (2), Upwell Lane (2), Carlisle Road (4) and Grimesthorpe Club.

If i'm right, one the western boundaries of Grimesthorpe is Carwood road and the westside is in Pitsmoor and the east side is in Grimesthorpe which would then qualify the Hallcar Tavern, but as my wife will tell you I've been wrong before.  As an after thought this might take out the Corner Pin

Edited by beezerboy

56 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

f i'm right, one the western boundaries of Grimesthorpe is Carwood road and the westside is in Pitsmoor and the east side is in Grimesthorpe which would then qualify the Hallcar Tavern, but as my wife will tell you I've been wrong before.  As an after thought this might take out the Corner Pin

The demarcation boundary line between Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe is Garter Street, which runs between Carlisle Street East and Petre Street  and then the line continues up Smith's field to Grimesthorpe Road which up till the 1920's so did Garter Street. That keeps the Carwood's (Lane ,Terrace etc)  in Pitsmoor. Thus the Hallcar Tavern, Carwood Hotel and the Corner Pin were in Pitsmoor and coming away from city centre the Alexandra (Carlisle Street East) would have been the first Grimesthorpe pub with the Crown (Carlisle Road) the second, if you follow me.

Edited by St Petre
Spell

2 hours ago, St Petre said:

The demarcation boundary line between Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe is Garter Street, which runs between Carlisle Street East and Petre Street  and then the line continues up Smith's field to Grimesthorpe Road which up till the 1920's so did Garter Street. That keeps the Carwood's (Lane ,Terrace etc)  in Pitsmoor. Thus the Hallcar Tavern, Carwood Hotel and the Corner Pin were in Pitsmoor and coming away from city centre the Alexandra (Carlisle Street East) would have been the first Grimesthorpe pub with the Crown (Carlisle Road) the second, if you follow me.

The Corner Pin (Tetley's) was on the corner of Lyons Street and Carlisle Street East, building is still there but not a pub.

2 hours ago, St Petre said:

I believe Grimesthorpe comes under the parish of St Thomas, I lived on the road that the Hallcar was on and we had to get permission from them to be married at All Saints. Some of the old sheffield maps show a boundary line up Carwood turning right on Grimesthorpe with a line going off up Osgathorpe to Barnsley road presumably for Fivale.

1 hour ago, beezerboy said:

believe Grimesthorpe comes under the parish of St Thomas, I lived on the road that the Hallcar was on and we had to get permission from them to be married at All Saints. Some of the old sheffield maps show a boundary line up Carwood turning right on Grimesthorpe with a line going off up Osgathorpe to Barnsley road presumably for Fivale.

Yes  St. Thomas' is in Wincobank, The new All Saints church- now St Peters- is under the diocese of Christ Church Pitsmoor at Pitsmoor Road/Nottingham Street. Even the vicarage is there as the old one, Grimesthorpe Road/Carwood Road was sold.

Edited by St Petre
add

On 09/01/2019 at 01:16, St Petre said:

Yes  St. Thomas' is in Wincobank, The new All Saints church- now St Peters- is under the diocese of Christ Church Pitsmoor at Pitsmoor Road/Nottingham Street. Even the vicarage is there as the old one, Grimesthorpe Road/Carwood Road was sold.

I think beezerboy is correct in that Grimesthorpe is in the Parish of St Thomas.

There is a St Thomas Church at the Grimesthorpe end of Holywell Road ..........     I got married there in 1974.

It is no longer a church, it's now the Greentop Circus Centre.

(  Sorry for being off topic  )