Graffiti in Sheffield.

My own thought is that there's a big difference between 'proper' graffiti - that many people might see as an art form - and 'tagging', which often appears on buildings around the city and doesn't - to me - hold any artistic merit.

The  "tagging" and half hearted clean ups are an issue..as a visitor the the city it was noticable how tatty the city looked. Hey , i live in Skeggy , i know what "tatty" and "dated" looks like  .

I am proud of my home city, and just high lighting my  view of the city as on my visit this week. Its easy to live day to day in a city and not notice such events...one tag here another there!!  over the years they seem to have taken over.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, POUNDSWORTH said:

The  "tagging" and half hearted clean ups are an issue..as a visitor the the city it was noticable how tatty the city looked. Hey , i live in Skeggy , i know what "tatty" and "dated" looks like  .

I am proud of my home city, and just high lighting my  view of the city as on my visit this week. Its easy to live day to day in a city and not notice such events...one tag here another there!!  over the years they seem to have taken over.

I don’t think it’s any worse than any other big city.

l think it’s a bit naive to expect a city of this size to not be a bit tatty in places - like I said I don’t like it on prominent buildings landmarks as that ruins their integrity - elsewhere I like it.

1 hour ago, POUNDSWORTH said:

The scribble that lowlife impose on the city is dreadful! Banksy? Definitely not!

I think we all know know the difference between street art, where time is taken to produce something on the side of a wall or building that actually enhances bland brickwork and the environment & the idiotic scrawl that is tagging?  One is done by gifted artists the other is done by folk who appear to struggle to write their own non de plume. 

Have noticed in the past few months the initials of someone calling themselves 'GP' generally scrawled all over the place in the south of the city.  Latest I saw, a couple of days ago, Queens Road, not on the walls but all over the entrance signs of the St. Wilfred's Centre which helps the homeless obliterating all the wording. 

One might be a bit lenient if it was kids doing this but as most of this stuff goes on during the early hours it's clearly adults who should know better. 

It's all about the quality of graffiti in my opinion.

I would prefer to see a colourful wildstyle piece or an interesting mural on a boring old building or block of flats. It brightens up the place.

The problem in Sheffield is that there are bunch of talentless muppets who are scrawling their tags everywhere.   I'm not even gonna name these people, but they have no respect for anything, often painting on people's homes abd businesses. 

Railway sidings, council flats,  old buildings, railways arches are all far game - as long as the quality is fantastic.

For some "good" Sheffield graffiti artist check this out which features the work of Faunagraphic ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bx2ryc/countryfile-countryfiles-inspirational-women

53 minutes ago, GinTreeS7 said:

For some "good" Sheffield graffiti artist check this out which features the work of Faunagraphic ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bx2ryc/countryfile-countryfiles-inspirational-women

Isn't there some ongoing issues with Faunagraphic & some other individuals?  She did a lovely picture on the gable end of Pizzahut on Abbeydale Rd., (next to the old Abbeydale cinema), then someone threw paint all over it. 

I've also seen another one of hers in the city centre that's been defaced.