Graffiti in Sheffield.

I traveled over to sheffield this week for a few days , and was shocked at the amount of graffiti/bad street art leading into  city, drove from Chapltown to town, in to town and back up for lunch up eccy road,   cleaning up on some walls had been attempted, but it all looked a big mess...i am not one to notice or comment on such topics, but my home city looked a mess, lots of building work going on, thats fine but hw about a buget for cleaning up.  Please.

Edited by POUNDSWORTH

Approaching the city by rail is just as bad.

Guest makapaka

Unless it’s plastered on prominent buildings or people’s houses I don’t have a problem with it. 

18 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Unless it’s plastered on prominent buildings or people’s houses I don’t have a problem with it. 

I strongly disagree with that. I don't want to see it anywhere.  It wasn't a big thing before the invention of aerosols, so why do we have to tolerate it now?

Guest makapaka
6 minutes ago, Bilge said:

I strongly disagree with that. I don't want to see it anywhere.  It wasn't a big thing before the invention of aerosols, so why do we have to tolerate it now?

I don’t see it as tolerating it I quite like it.

42 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I don’t see it as tolerating it I quite like it.

Me too 

I’ve not seen any that offends or looks like an eyesore

1 hour ago, Bilge said:

Thats an odd thing to say.  Mass national travel wasn't a big thing before railways, so why do we have to tolerate it now?  See what I mean. 

The op had it right in his  original message. "graffiti/bad street art ". He  seems to acknowledge there is such a thing as good street art.

But good/bad is a matter of opinion.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Unisol said:

Me too 

I’ve not seen any that offends or looks like an eyesore

I find it fascinating.

i don’t like to see it on nice buildings because I think it spoils the nice building which wasn’t built to show graffiti!

i also understand why people don’t want it on their house because I wouldn’t unless I’d chosen it.

anywhere else I don’t mind it - it’s culture.

Grafitti has always been a Marmite issue.

It is classed as vandalism but clearly it's not. Somebody putting a half brick through a windoww or keying a car is vandalism, but someone taking the time to get hold of cans of paint and creating artwork, whether you like it or not, is not vandalism.

Surely not all graffiti is equal though? At one end of the scale you have street art (which in a suitable location is attractive and of cultural value). At the other you have random scruffy daubs of spray paint which always look a mess. I’m not sure how anyone could claim to like this!

I think it's o.k.  if it's in designated areas for the same.  But that's the problem - it's not.  And a lot of it isn't "art" at all, let's not kid ourselves about that - it's just defacing of property with paint.

It gives a low-life scummy impression of a place.  This is particularly noticeable when arriving by rail.  I don't know if the "Blood Axe" graffiti is still around, but how lovely that was eh?  "Welcome to Sheffield".

As the OP says,  'it looks a mess' and it gives a poor impression of the city.    And then you leave the train station and go and visit the boarded up city centre with its charity shops and nail bars!  Lovely!:gag:

It's all subjective. Everything can be 'art' depending on context or opinion. Putting a brick through a window  or keying a car can be art. Some say grafitti on 'good' buildings is bad, but grafitti on 'bad' buildings is good. But which are which and who says?

I'm saying generally I don't want graffiti all over buildings in Sheffield - regardless of the building or standard of grafitti. But it can look OK in certain limited contexts,