Good places to have discussions on the internet?

For local news and discussion, Sheffield Forum is an excellent resource; but for general discussion, what are your favourite places (social media platforms, services, websites, etc) on the internet to debate the issues of the day?

For me, I'm not really a fan of Facebook; but maybe something like Discord would be good?

The kind of things I value are:

People being civil with each other (despite differences), also intelligent and insightful.

No trolls with agendas divisively trying to suppress the expression of any views they don't agree with (get threads closed etc).

A light touch approach to moderation.

A functional easy to use platform; not too many images everywhere.

Anyhow, any suggestions?

Reddit - find the right communities and you will find some excellent banter and dialogue. Start off at /r/casualUK which is a pleasant, no politics, no argument community. Work your way into places that you are interested in. There is something for everybody. I follow topics as diverse as the EU to Volvo to modelmakers.

Ah of course. I actually use reddit a (very) little aready for business; so will probably create a separate account for personal use. Do you use a dedicated client (on desktop or mobile) or just access the service through their website?

42 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Do you want bubble or non bubble?

Can I try a bit of everything?! ;)

But no. A bubble is not good. There is far more value in being challenged by people who hold different perspectives and values to ourselves. Otherwise it's confirmation-bias-ville here we come.

Edited by Waldo

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

Ah of course. I actually use reddit a (very) little aready for business; so will probably create a separate account for personal use. Do you use a dedicated client (on desktop or mobile) or just access the service through their website?

On my phone I use Apollo and/or Narwhal clients, both have advantages and disadvantages. On desktop I use the website.

Sheffield Forum is the only platform I bother posting on. The quality of material is first class. The forum has

the potential to attract more intelligent contributors from around the world. Since I joined I have found the forum informative and stimulating. Long may it last.

Edited by petemcewan

13 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Sheffield Forum is the only platform I bother posting on. The quality of material is first class. The forum has

the potential to attract more intelligent contributors from around the world. Since I joined I have found the forum informative and stimulating. Long may it last.

I like the technical layout of Sheffield Forum, easy to navigate around and well organised sub forums for different interests and topics etc. I also agree there are some intelligent insightful posters.

On the down side, well, not allowed to say...

On 1/5/2019 at 12:08 AM, Top Cats Hat said:

Do you want bubble or non bubble?

Could you explain to an Oldie please ?

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Could you explain to an Oldie please ?

Some people feel safer in an environment populated by people of very similar ideas where their world view is not challenged. (A bubble)

Others like to be challenged and have their views tested (or even changed) by open debate. (Not a bubble)

I'd say most internet forums lack any real discussion of value.

They tend to be dominated by people with very fixed views, hell bent on 'winning' arguments come what may.

If you want quality discussion without the nastiness, I'd stick to the real world.