Good places to have discussions on the internet?

Generally speaking I find internet forums the best format for discussion threads. Much better than Facebook, for example.

This forum is ok, although does suffer from the way vaguely related threads all getting merged into huge ones, which are then very hard to follow (e.g. anything to do with Trump or the Labour party will get merged into a huge thread with lots of other Trump or Labour related issues that may not be of interest).

On 1/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, woodview said:

I'd say most internet forums lack any real discussion of value.

They tend to be dominated by people with very fixed views, hell bent on 'winning' arguments come what may.

If you want quality discussion without the nastiness, I'd stick to the real world.

I know what you mean there woodview; it's almost like it's an intellectual game of one-up-manship or something. Where there are lots of different strategies you can apply, to present your case and 'destroy' your opponent's argument. What's the point though? It's a bit like winning the battle, but losing the war; it's really an impoverished mentality.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Generally speaking I find internet forums the best format for discussion threads. Much better than Facebook, for example.

This forum is ok, although does suffer from the way vaguely related threads all getting merged into huge ones, which are then very hard to follow (e.g. anything to do with Trump or the Labour party will get merged into a huge thread with lots of other Trump or Labour related issues that may not be of interest).

I agree. I generally like the format and the new software with the forum. Not so keen on the fact of images and video (YouTube) etc, being displayed inline in threads (rather than as links); as it detracts from the debate.

8 hours ago, Waldo said:

I agree. I generally like the format and the new software with the forum. Not so keen on the fact of images and video (YouTube) etc, being displayed inline in threads (rather than as links); as it detracts from the debate.

I don't know, I think we've been pretty sensible in its use so far (until now).

On 1/8/2019 at 7:15 PM, Top Cats Hat said:

Some people feel safer in an environment populated by people of very similar ideas where their world view is not challenged. (A bubble)

Others like to be challenged and have their views tested (or even changed) by open debate. (Not a bubble)

new here what sort do you think this forum is??

44 minutes ago, neworderishere said:

depends what side of the fence youre on, BOTH sets of supporters (right wing AND left wing) are voracious on here, i personally think theres far too many right wingers and trolls on here but.......right wingers see it as very left wing so............

42 minutes ago, melthebell said:

depends what side of the fence youre on, BOTH sets of supporters (right wing AND left wing) are voracious on here, i personally think theres far too many right wingers and trolls on here but.......right wingers see it as very left wing so............

Hmmm... :huh:

... now that's an interesting use of the word "voracious".

I'm assuming here that you've used it in it's social media context to mean "the act of constantly regurgitating the same old rubbish at every opportunity whilst resorting to disparaging comments to belittle the opinions of anyone who dares to disagree"? :roll:

1 hour ago, neworderishere said:

Clearly not a bubble, as a quick look at some of the more long running threads in the general discussion forum will show, but a number of the posters on these threads spend a lot of time in a bubble as they seem horrified that some have different views to them! 😵