Nice - price motorists off the roads

14 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A journey to school, stopping and dropping off the child in the school is one journey, probably of less than 1 mile. The onward journey to work is a separate journey. 

No, that's not true.  Dropping someone off doesn't cause a new journey to start.  You even described it yourself as "the onward journey".

7 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

No, that's not true.  Dropping someone off doesn't cause a new journey to start.  You even described it yourself as "the onward journey".

If you park up, turn the engine off and leave the car, then that is the journey ended. What methodology was used to define a journey in the study that produced the statistic you keep quoting?

So now all parents park up, turn off and get out of the car?

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So now all parents park up, turn off and get out of the car?

Yes, most do, unless the children are older. As I said, teachers won't even 'release' the children at the end of the day without seeing the parent there to take them.

Which goes back to what I said, it's not really about more dual income families (although there are more I agree), it's a fundamental change in attitude from both parents and schools.

Despite there being >50% dual income families when I was at school, being driven to school simply didn't happen and children from a relatively young age were expected to walk to and from school on their own.  Today that's changed, and this drives up the number of cars driven on the school run.

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Which goes back to what I said, it's not really about more dual income families (although there are more I agree), it's a fundamental change in attitude from both parents and schools.

Despite there being >50% dual income families when I was at school, being driven to school simply didn't happen and children from a relatively young age were expected to walk to and from school on their own.  Today that's changed, and this drives up the number of cars driven on the school run.

There were fewer dual income families back then, so even if children were taken to school responsibly, it would've been more likely to be on foot, due to (a) fewer second cars in families and (b) being in no particular rush. Which goes back to my point about the increase in dual income families driving a lot of the school run traffic. 

Fewer, but the change is not so fundamental as you wish it to be.  There were still >50% dual income.  Which in your scenario would involve half the children in the school arriving by car (or thereabouts).

It wasn't the case though.  The moderate increase in dual income families (most of which took place up to 1990) doesn't explain the continuing increase in congestion.

Car ownership is much easier now than a generation or two ago,  with credit and finance packages available. It's the same with things like washing machines and dishwashers...these things were relatively uncommon in the late 70s or eighties for example.  Increase in car ownership is therefore not linear with rise in income, and car availability makes people lazy. Congestion increases are inevitable on that basis.

47 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Fewer, but the change is not so fundamental as you wish it to be.  There were still >50% dual income.  Which in your scenario would involve half the children in the school arriving by car (or thereabouts).

It wasn't the case though.  The moderate increase in dual income families (most of which took place up to 1990) doesn't explain the continuing increase in congestion.

Any theories you have offered up have no statistical basis.

From stats posted in this thread we know the number of working mums has gone up by 1.2 million ( from 3.7) since '96.

Also thousands of primary schools have closed, increasing travelling distance on avrrage. It would come as no surprise that dropping off at school by car has increased.

9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Any theories you have offered up have no statistical basis.

Neither does yours.  In fact you haven't even tried to look any up or provide any evidence.

8 hours ago, woodview said:

From stats posted in this thread we know the number of working mums has gone up by 1.2 million ( from 3.7) since '96.

Also thousands of primary schools have closed, increasing travelling distance on avrrage. It would come as no surprise that dropping off at school by car has increased.

Yes, a moderate rise, but not enough to explain the continuing increase in congestion.

11 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Yes, a moderate rise, but not enough to explain the continuing increase in congestion.

Yes, it explains why loads more parents are driving their kids to school, which was the thread within a thread. It was never set out to be about the rise in all congestion.