Jump to content

Nice - price motorists off the roads

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Cyclone's own chosen source still put it at 35%.

Here's the thing, the 'research' you were quick to refer to also mentions that that 32% of drivers also admit to jumping red lights.

 

So we have 35% of cyclists from one source and 32% of drivers from another source.

 

Bearing in mind your initial claim was based on your own personal experience 'driving the roads of Sheffield'.

 

Are you still sticking with it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Here's the thing, the 'research' you were quick to refer to also mentions that that 32% of drivers also admit to jumping red lights.

 

So we have 35% of cyclists from one source and 32% of drivers from another source.

 

Bearing in mind your initial claim was based on your own personal experience 'driving the roads of Sheffield'.

 

Are you still sticking with it?

 

 

Is 35% higher than 32%? I doubt it's that close anyway, but even if you want to cherry pick, my statement that proportionately more cyclists than car drivers jump red lights is still correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Is 35% higher than 32%? I doubt it's that close anyway, but even if you want to cherry pick, my statement that proportionately more cyclists than car drivers jump red lights is still correct.

Lol, brilliant 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Of course it all depends, but the vast majority of journeys are quicker by car, especially when you have to factor in getting changed, possibly having to shower, etc. I suspect it's closer to 2 miles than 5. Maybe 3 in rush hour.

It's over 3, multiple people have already told you that they cycle further than that and that it's quicker.

I could get anywhere in the city centre faster by cycle than I could by car in a morning commute.  I've done it, day after day.

 

A large proportion of journeys are faster, but 75% of car journeys are 1 mile or under, and commuting contributes a huge amount to daily traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's over 3, multiple people have already told you that they cycle further than that and that it's quicker.

I could get anywhere in the city centre faster by cycle than I could by car in a morning commute.  I've done it, day after day.

 

A large proportion of journeys are faster, but 75% of car journeys are 1 mile or under, and commuting contributes a huge amount to daily traffic.

Most of the 75% of car journeys that are 1 mile or under will not be within a city centre. School runs will account for a lot of that. If you think cycling to school and back is quicker and more practical, you're mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that sending the kids to school independently would be a lot quicker for the adult currently involved in ferrying them around.

There'd be numerous benefits in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I think that sending the kids to school independently would be a lot quicker for the adult currently involved in ferrying them around.

There'd be numerous benefits in fact.

Yeah, numerous benefits to sending infant age children to school independently. Such as getting lost, hit by a car, or even abducted. Foolish.

Edited by WiseOwl182

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly that's what I meant.  Anything else you'd like to pretend I said?

 

If children went to their local school as infants it would help, there's no reason for the majority to travel a mile to an infant school.

 

I can't say exactly what age I started walking the 400 metres to school just in the company of the crowds of other children, but it was probably late infants/early junior school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Clearly that's what I meant.  Anything else you'd like to pretend I said?

 

If children went to their local school as infants it would help, there's no reason for the majority to travel a mile to an infant school.

 

I can't say exactly what age I started walking the 400 metres to school just in the company of the crowds of other children, but it was probably late infants/early junior school.

Catchment areas can go up to the best part of a mile easily. Even half a mile is way faster and more practical in a car than cycling. And I doubt you walked to school on your own at the age of 6 (late infants).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catchement areas don't really exist anymore from what I understand.  The distance that guarantees you getting into a school is extremely short and beyond that it's all about bidding and hoping.

 

You can doubt what you like I suppose, but given that I could these days almost throw a tennis ball from my parents to my old infant school, and there would have been about 200 children all living within 500 metres of the school walking to it, well, you can see why it wouldn't be unsafe.

Late infants would be 7 though, given that it's a 3 year age range from 5 - 7.

 

Tell you what though, I'll try to remember to ask my Mum when I see her at what age I was first sent off to school on my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Catchement areas don't really exist anymore from what I understand.  The distance that guarantees you getting into a school is extremely short and beyond that it's all about bidding and hoping.

 

You can doubt what you like I suppose, but given that I could these days almost throw a tennis ball from my parents to my old infant school, and there would have been about 200 children all living within 500 metres of the school walking to it, well, you can see why it wouldn't be unsafe.

Late infants would be 7 though, given that it's a 3 year age range from 5 - 7.

 

Tell you what though, I'll try to remember to ask my Mum when I see her at what age I was first sent off to school on my own.

You don't understand much about schools, since you don't have children. Catchment area is still very much important, I can assure you.

 

The final year of infant school is age 6 to 7. I wouldn't be comfortable sending my kids to school on their own at that age, whether it's 100 metres or 1 mile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.