Nice - price motorists off the roads

2 hours ago, woodview said:

you may be less self rightous by then.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one...

2 hours ago, woodview said:

Nearly a mile for me. Same distance as other catchment school. No way would they be walking. To many busy crossings.

If it was on an estate road, maybe, and lots do walk that.

I used to see a fat mum drive 100 yards with her child then have to do a 400 yard route back. That is ott.

You have to base it on sensible notions, based on lots of circumstances. Can't assume everyone is a mum in a range rover.

Seems reasonable.

It must be difficult to find a "built up area" where the nearest primary school is a mile away though.

16 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It must be difficult to find a "built up area" where the nearest primary school is a mile away though.

I lived in chesterfield and my infant and junior schools were over a mile away, the latter nearly two and I had friends who lived further away than me. I had a google and nothing has changed.

Well, something changed over the last 30 years to massively increase the number of children driven to school.  And it's not "danger to children", they're safer than they ever were from both road accidents and any other form of harm.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Well, something changed over the last 30 years to massively increase the number of children driven to school.  And it's not "danger to children", they're safer than they ever were from both road accidents and any other form of harm.

Another aspect is the increased requirement for the primary carer (usually the mum) to work either full or part time. Having to get kids ready for school, yourself ready for work, and driving to work straight from the drop-off is much easier with a car, than with a couple of lengthy walks thrown in too (one of which, with young children with short, slow legs). 

Numbers. I got eh bus to my infants and I walked to my juniors (a bus was available though if memory serves). I recall kids being dropped off but not many - it was either bus or walking. When it was really heavy rain I remember getting a lift and the roads were always jammed. But the roads in question are now always jammed - every weekday morning.  But there’s been a fair few houses built over the past 30 odd years but the arterial roads in chesterfield really haven’t. Working patterns have changed a lot since then. I don’t know why more kids are driven specifically to school (as opposed to dropped off on 5e way to work) But I’d guess it’s down to less bus use (less buses?) but I think it’s down to parents fear th child will be kidnapped and murdered.

17 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Another aspect is the increased requirement for the primary carer (usually the mum) to work either full or part time. Having to get kids ready for school, yourself ready for work, and driving to work straight from the drop-off is much easier with a car, than with a couple of lengthy walks thrown in too (one of which, with young children with short, slow legs). 

Going back to what I said though, it wasn't primarily about young children walking.

The numbers of secondary school children driven to school has increased massively hasn't it.

I walked to school, primary was 0.2 miles according to google maps.  I walked to secondary school, 1.3 miles.  The bus to secondary was 5p when I started, but I rarely caught it, probably 10 - 20 times in my entire 7 years there.

I probably got a lift <10 times in that 7 years.

Parents fears may well be the explanation, or maybe it's a bigger change in attitudes.  Despite the decreased risks to children, they're not allowed the same freedoms I had 30+ years ago.

8 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Going back to what I said though, it wasn't primarily about young children walking.

The numbers of secondary school children driven to school has increased massively hasn't it.

I walked to school, primary was 0.2 miles according to google maps.  I walked to secondary school, 1.3 miles.  The bus to secondary was 5p when I started, but I rarely caught it, probably 10 - 20 times in my entire 7 years there.

I probably got a lift <10 times in that 7 years.

Parents fears may well be the explanation, or maybe it's a bigger change in attitudes.  Despite the decreased risks to children, they're not allowed the same freedoms I had 30+ years ago.

I'm not sure if I would class a 6 year old child walking to school as a freedom, more neglect in my opinion. I would certainly not allow it. Secondary school children are another matter, but most from what I can see either walk, or if from further afield catch the bus. I don't see the cars on the school run being much of an issue at secondary schools. How many teenagers want to be seen dead with their parents dropping them off?

Edited by WiseOwl182

You keep banging on about 6 year olds, knowing that I never said that.

On 11/01/2019 at 16:55, Cyclone said:

I think that sending the kids to school independently would be a lot quicker for the adult currently involved in ferrying them around.

There'd be numerous benefits in fact.

Can you see me saying anything about 6 year olds here?  No.  You made that bit up and keep repeating it.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'm not sure if I would class a 6 year old child walking to school as a freedom, more neglect in my opinion. I would certainly not allow it. Secondary school children are another matter, but most from what I can see either walk, or if from further afield catch the bus. I don't see the cars on the school run being much of an issue at secondary schools. How many teenagers want to be seen dead with their parents dropping them off?

Children these days do not have the same freedoms they had 30 years ago.  I didn't say that this meant walking to school at age 6.  You're just making things up that haven't been said.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

You keep banging on about 6 year olds, knowing that I never said that.

Can you see me saying anything about 6 year olds here?  No.  You made that bit up and keep repeating it.

You said "late infant". By definition, that is the final year of infant school, which the children start at the age of 6 and turn 7 at some point during the school year (or even into the following summer holiday).

On 11/01/2019 at 16:39, WiseOwl182 said:

Most of the 75% of car journeys that are 1 mile or under will not be within a city centre. School runs will account for a lot of that. If you think cycling to school and back is quicker and more practical, you're mistaken.

So all these short journeys (75% of car journeys are under 1 mile) are (you claimed) school runs.  And now they're school runs for infants specifically...

And no, I didn't ever suggest that anyone cycle their children to school.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

You said "late infant". By definition, that is the final year of infant school, which the children start at the age of 6 and turn 7 at some point during the school year (or even into the following summer holiday).

You're mistaken.  I said that I had walked to school in late infant/early junior.

To clarify that for you, somewhere around the age of 7 (late infants) or 8 (early juniors), was when I walked to school on my own.

Edited by Cyclone