Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

1 hour ago, MEC176 said:

On Amazon you can buy a book,

Mi Amigo: The Story of Sheffield's Flying Fortress  By David Harvey priced at £6.19 it’s only a A5 sized book and not very long but it gives a better insight to the event and what happened after wards. After what happened yesterday may be the Sheffield shop or WH Smiths may start and stock it.

Sheffield Scene Surrey St have them on order .

Didn't see it live but watched it yesterday afternoon & saw Mr Foulds being interviewed at length on Look North.  I can tell you, watching a picture of Mr Foulds, as he watched the fly past, had me welling up. 

He, his family & the city should be immensely proud of what he did & recognition should also go to Sheffield's adopted son, Dan Walker for his part in it all. 

So glad it all came together for Mr Foulds & the weather was nice for him.  Such an uplifting story amongst all the doom & gloom that we seem to continually get these days. 

Edited by Baron99

5 hours ago, MEC176 said:

On Amazon you can buy a book,

Mi Amigo: The Story of Sheffield's Flying Fortress  By David Harvey priced at £6.19 it’s only a A5 sized book and not very long but it gives a better insight to the event and what happened after wards. After what happened yesterday may be the Sheffield shop or WH Smiths may start and stock it.

Not a hope in Hell will I ever buy anything from Amazon.

6 hours ago, MEC176 said:

....but what would be nice would be for the Americans to take him and his son over to America and to the places where it all started with this so young a crew and pamper him while they can like he has looked after the memories of that crew.

And leave his "family"?!

Sound idea, but I bet he wouldn't go.

I'm sure he'd consider it a brilliant honour and be very moved, but his heart is in that park.

His dedication is astounding, but as he's pointed out many times, he's not "in it" for himself.

What a man.....

6 hours ago, MEC176 said:

I agree there should be some recognition for what he has done all these years, free man of the city definitely a gong possibly but what would be nice would be for the Americans to take him and his son over to America and to the places where it all started with this so young a crew and pamper him while they can like he has looked after the memories of that crew.

Now that would be amazing. 

Tony and John the 'pram man'  both make me proud to be a Sheffielder - they make a brilliant pair - both being of a similar age and disposition - not wanting to put themselves in the spotlight and both working tirelessly for others. It is tinged with sadness that in both cases it was a tragedy that set them both on their respective paths with no thoughts for themselves - a true inspiration.

30 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

Tony and John the 'pram man'  both make me proud to be a Sheffielder - they make a brilliant pair - both being of a similar age and disposition - not wanting to put themselves in the spotlight and both working tirelessly for others. It is tinged with sadness that in both cases it was a tragedy that set them both on their respective paths with no thoughts for themselves - a true inspiration.

Amen, Sheffield at its greatest.

On 22/02/2019 at 18:49, Unrecordings said:

I don't remember seeing the Typhoons - I saw the Dakota first, what looked like a Hercules and a single Osprey, then the Stratotanker, with something (or things) smaller below it, climbing, then finally the four F15s  one of which I'm certain did a victory roll (but I couldn't lean far enough out of the window)

Did I get that correct ?

Were the Typhoons flying with the Stratotanker, or were they also F15 ?

Yes you are right, I saw it victory roll too.  I was on Endcliffe Hall Avenue and it it did it right above me.  Haven't seen it on any videos maybe too far away from the park.

3 hours ago, Basalt said:

Yes you are right, I saw it victory roll too.  I was on Endcliffe Hall Avenue and it it did it right above me.  Haven't seen it on any videos maybe too far away from the park.

It wasn't a victory roll, it was a 'missing man' formation, an aerial salute performed as part of a flypast of aircraft at a funeral or memorial event, typically in memory of a fallen pilot, a well-known military service member or veteran, quite apt I thought.

17 hours ago, Del Usory said:

Not a hope in Hell will I ever buy anything from Amazon. 

Your choice.

2 hours ago, MEC176 said:

Your choice.

Me too though. I don't like the way they keep trying to push Prime and also they are getting far too intrusive, I think. Enjoyed the display though.

Edited by spilldig
Addition

There have been annual services at the memorial for years, with American military present.