Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

2 hours ago, altus said:

I'm not sure about some of them. A direct line between Market Warsop (the holding area) and Endcliffe Park goes over Meersbrook Park before going on to Crosspool. Park Hill and Sky Edge are getting on for 4km from the apparent route. Chelsea Park should be a good place to view from if you don't want to see them going directly overhead - it's about 500m from the route and higher up than Endcliffe Park.

we were thinking of Chelsea Park too, although after having done a recc. last night with the dog going up to Banner Cross and bac to Hunters Bar, we decided we might as well stand at the top of our own street (or the next one up),  as we're only round the corner from the park.   i'm in two minds - stay there or go down to the park, great atmosphere no doubt,  but I think it will be heaving.

(Too many trees blocking the view along Psalter Lane unless you want to risk the quarry, which I wouldnt advise).  those apartments with the rooftop gardens would be an ideal spot.

4 hours ago, altus said:

I'm not sure about some of them. A direct line between Market Warsop (the holding area) and Endcliffe Park goes over Meersbrook Park before going on to Crosspool. Park Hill and Sky Edge are getting on for 4km from the apparent route. Chelsea Park should be a good place to view from if you don't want to see them going directly overhead - it's about 500m from the route and higher up than Endcliffe Park.

I bet the top of King Edwards school field by Manchester Road in Crosspool would be a good spot.  It sort of looks down the hill towards Endcliffe

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3782995,-1.5162826,3a,60y,211.3h,100.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxAApaXu17ewse3yVVTVwoQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

What do folks think about Bolehills? It's a little further up and away from the action compared with lil-minx's link above (great spot btw).

I'm hoping, as a few of us are meeting there, that armed with binoculars and a good view to the west and southwest, Bolehills Park will be a decent spot :)

15 hours ago, brinner said:

What do folks think about Bolehills? It's a little further up and away from the action compared with lil-minx's link above (great spot btw).

I'm hoping, as a few of us are meeting there, that armed with binoculars and a good view to the west and southwest, Bolehills Park will be a decent spot :)

We are also thinking Bolehills as that's our morning dog walk anyway.

Might head down to Endciliffe park first thing just to see what the crowd is like then head back up the hill for the flypast. Im told the route away will be over Stannington so in theory, a nice seat up on Bolehill should give you a grand view as they depart. 

Don't forget later in the day, head down to the canal basin for the 200th-anniversary event which should be a cracker as well given the great weather forecast.  

If it's sunny beware that your location might cause you see only a silhouette or the planes to be lost in the buildings in the background.

It was a display of love.

Brilliant, a great turnout and a moving tribute. Hopefully they'll make the memorial a more prominent display in the park.

37 minutes ago, Temuchin said:

Planefinder showing flight from Coningsby

Thanks for that, I was hoping I might see the Dakota again on it's return trip - BBMF have a habit of using Abbey Lane for navigation - I've seen the Spitfire & Hurricane at low level over my garden several times in the last couple of years. I could just see today's flight over the tree line of Ecclesall Woods

13 minutes ago, Unrecordings said:

Thanks for that, I was hoping I might see the Dakota again on it's return trip - BBMF have a habit of using Abbey Lane for navigation - I've seen the Spitfire & Hurricane at low level over my garden several times in the last couple of years. I could just see today's flight over the tree line of Ecclesall Woods

Flightradar has the historical playback available.  Looks OK, but it was a mess on the live flight.

I'm glad I saw it even at a distance, the BBC footage  (I've seen so far) didn't catch the F15 victory roll

Hopefully you can see this:

P1080436x.jpg

Edited by Unrecordings
add photo