Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

9 hours ago, WarPig said:

I wonder what coverage this story has had, if any,  on American TV?

CBS News:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/airmen-killed-during-world-war-ii-crash-honored-75-years-later-2019-02-22/

NBC (amusingly with subtitles on Tony's bits!)

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/american-world-war-ii-airmen-who-gave-their-lives-to-save-kids-honored-with-flyover-1447336003932

Edited by alchresearch

9 hours ago, WarPig said:

I wonder what coverage this story has had, if any,  on American TV?

Not on Beyond 100 Days again (Tuesday), I hoped the proclamation might have prompted something, but it's only a 30 minute show that's pretty much dominated by Youknowwhat and Youknowwho

Just did a quick google and it looks like proclamations are not that big a deal in the US, never mind finding news on Tony's - all I found was this:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-officials-honor-uk-man-who-tends-memorial-of-us-airmen

3 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Obviously my google powers are waning...

2 hours ago, happyaslarry said:

There are serious contradictions in official accounts of the time of the Mi Amigo cash and the subsequent recollections of Tony Foulds, as here https://wp.me/p5wFIX-19H

yes just confirms my thoughts, i think he (Tony)  just got carried away talking to what he thought was some bloke and it spiralled out of control and once it started its hard to roll it back.

its justa bit sad that others who volunteer their time tending to war memorials not just in endcliffe but around the city are not given the same kind of publicity, also nothing has been said about SCC who undertake a lot of work on these that includes Parks staff who clear the memorials regardless of what certain people think

I certainly think Tony got carried away and then found he was in too deep to backtrack. The serious criticism needs to be directed at Dan Walker who failed to carry out basic journalistic checks but rushed to tweet. It has become clear that the BBC knew early on that Tony's story was a load of baloney but kept silent, thus deceiving viewers and licence payers. The Star and Yorkshire Post also knew but kept a conspiracy of silence. The sad fact is the story could have been checked and found wanting by someone with only one day's experience in journalism! They just had to read David Harvey's book.

12 hours ago, happyaslarry said:

I certainly think Tony got carried away and then found he was in too deep to backtrack. The serious criticism needs to be directed at Dan Walker who failed to carry out basic journalistic checks but rushed to tweet. It has become clear that the BBC knew early on that Tony's story was a load of baloney but kept silent, thus deceiving viewers and licence payers. The Star and Yorkshire Post also knew but kept a conspiracy of silence. The sad fact is the story could have been checked and found wanting by someone with only one day's experience in journalism! They just had to read David Harvey's book.

Thus deceiving viewers,licence payers and the US Airforce!

It made for a superb spectacle though!

He brought the world's attention  to these young men who lost their lives in a Sheffield park. 

Of course there'll be those who'll look for gaps in the story. That sadly is human nature. They will hope their story becomes bigger than the original story. 

As Tony Foulds has always maintained - it was never about him but about those who died 75 years ago.  

If (a) it was never about him and (b) he hasn't been telling the whole truth, then perhaps he shouldn't be allowing this to happen?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47474347

I agree, it's a nice story and it was a brilliant day, but I've just watched a lot of the coverage. Dan Walker says that Tony has tended the Memorial for 50 years. The MP in the house of commons says he's done it for 75 years! Now it turns out that he popped by every now and then in the last 4 years. The story is more about Dan Walker. Why didn't he check? Now Tony is being flown all over the world and getting all sorts of honours and he has unwittingly been led by the nose by the bbc.