Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

It was lovely in the park itself; perfect weather, fabulous turn-out, a great atmosphere and collective goosebumps when the big screen showed pictures of the various planes taking off to make the journey.  I missed a pic of the Dakota but got the rest on video.  A bit more volume on the big screen would have helped but it wasn't hard to follow.

It was a shame perhaps that they were trying to conduct a memorial service at the same time as the live broadcast was going on, as there was disgruntlement near us that the bugler played the Last Post but the BBC kept on broadcasting (I imagine the presenters weren't aware of everything that was going on behind them at the time).  That seemed a bit ill-planned but I guess they wanted to take advantage of the big audience, rather than maybe wait till the live broadcast had ended, as I imagine most people left after the flypast and applause for Tony.  

Someone posted a pic on Twitter yesterday morning of Tony back in the park as usual, cheering on the parkrunners as they passed him.

On 22/02/2019 at 12:57, CockneyMafia said:

I was there today. A great experience.

Has there been an official estimate of the crowd size? I've scoured websites and social media and can't see anything.

I saw 12000 in the park quoted on social media, plus I imagine a good few thousand more across not just Sheffield but all along the route, and the TV audience was 3.28 million which was apparently the first time a programme broadcast at 9am got more than all the the programmes after 9pm! 

BBC Breakfast also tweeted footage filmed by the Comic Relief crew, of Dan Walker watching from Tanzania blubbing his eyes out.

21 hours ago, Longy67 said:

It wasn't a victory roll, it was a 'missing man' formation, an aerial salute performed as part of a flypast of aircraft at a funeral or memorial event, typically in memory of a fallen pilot, a well-known military service member or veteran, quite apt I thought.

I thought it ( the roll) strange so ended up googling it the other day and found no instance of the 'missing man' formation that included a victory roll/barrel roll by the symbolic missing pilot. I was beginning to think I imagined it so glad someone else saw it.

Edited by Unrecordings

10 hours ago, WarPig said:

There have been annual services at the memorial for years, with American military present. 

correct, dont get me wrong its good he does volunteer but likewise there are many other across the city  and across the UK who do the same and havent been lucky enough to meet a BBC presenter.

i also see people are crowdfunding for the upkeep it doesnt need funding as SCC already look after it, they put the steps in a few years ago and also keep it clean as its part of the park an also tidying it up in prepartion for rememberance day

Edited by Narden Dee

Would be nice if the BBC did a follow up programme with Dan and Tony going to America to meet the relatives and hear stories passed down of the crew members.  

I’m not so sure if all this has done poor Tony any good. I understand people wanting to feel they are doing the right thing by publicising him, but he doesn’t strike me as someone who wants all this attention. 

He feels an immense guilt at what happened, and he has dealt with that in his own particular way. Being broadcasted to millions probably isn’t his thing. 

Maybe what he needs is some privacy, but he’s unlikely to get that now. He’s a great man, though he wouldn’t recognise or agree with that. I hope all this attention doesn’t have a negative impact on him or his health. 

Bravo Tony.  But let’s not get carried away with our own emotions at the expense of his. 

Edited by WarPig

1 hour ago, WarPig said:

I’m not so sure if all this has done poor Tony any good. I understand people wanting to feel they are doing the right thing by publicising him, but he doesn’t strike me as someone who wants all this attention. 

He feels an immense guilt at what happened, and he has dealt with that in his own particular way. Being broadcasted to millions probably isn’t his thing. 

Maybe what he needs is some privacy, but he’s unlikely to get that now. He’s a great man, though he wouldn’t recognise or agree with that. I hope all this attention doesn’t have a negative impact on him or his health. 

Bravo Tony.  But let’s not get carried away with our own emotions at the expense of his. 

Well said.

I thought that maybe it would get a mention on Beyond 100 Days (BBC transatlantic news show on BBC4 most evenings) but it didn't tonight, so I assume that for the BBC the story has run its course - which as explained by previous posters is possibly for the best

6 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Tony commended by the governor of Missouri:

53250652_2559012430794283_79986590801534

Fantastic news.

At 16:40 today we saw two large propped(?) transports flying south very low over Bamford from Ladybower turning left toward Hathersage. 

Any good sources of information on these?

I wonder what coverage this story has had, if any,  on American TV?