Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

49 minutes ago, Unrecordings said:

I don't remember seeing the Typhoons - I saw the Dakota first, what looked like a Hercules and a single Osprey, then the Stratotanker, with something (or things) smaller below it, climbing, then finally the four F15s  one of which I'm certain did a victory roll (but I couldn't lean far enough out of the window)

Did I get that correct ?

Were the Typhoons flying with the Stratotanker, or were they also F15 ?

Don't know anything about planes but when I heard the enormous racket from home at 8.45 I dashed outside to see the last (presumably) 3 planes fly over Stannington. Which ones would these have been? They looked identical.

Such a moving experience and the old photo of the 10 airmen brings a lump to my throat.

50 minutes ago, Unrecordings said:

I don't remember seeing the Typhoons - I saw the Dakota first, what looked like a Hercules and a single Osprey, then the Stratotanker, with something (or things) smaller below it, climbing, then finally the four F15s  one of which I'm certain did a victory roll (but I couldn't lean far enough out of the window)

Did I get that correct ?

Were the Typhoons flying with the Stratotanker, or were they also F15 ?

The man who talked you through the fly past on TV said, the four F15s were flying what is known as the missing men formation and the gap, when one planes broke away,  was to honour and represent the missing men in the Mi Amigo plane for the sacrifice they made.

Sorry I can’t help you with all of the names of the others, but you are right about the Dakota.

In that case, to answer Lindy, the last three  over Stannington must have been F15s

...and looking at my photos again, looks possibly like the pair of Typhoons (or F15s) would have been in front of the Stratotanker by the time they got to the park - from my vantage point it looks like they pulled ahead below the tanker and climbed  in front of it around Meersbrook/Chesterfield Road

2 hours ago, Unrecordings said:

In that case, to answer Lindy, the last three  over Stannington must have been F15s

Thanks for the info!

I totally agree that Tony should be honoured.  He is an incredible man and although lives were lost, Tony has suffered as well.  He has lived with the guilt that those  men died to save his life.  I also think it would be great if the people of Sheffield could set up some sort of collection for Tony so that he could have a well earned treat, not sure everyone will agree to this but i think he deserves it so much.  Does anybody have any ideas?  

4 hours ago, Unrecordings said:

...and looking at my photos again, looks possibly like the pair of Typhoons (or F15s) would have been in front of the Stratotanker by the time they got to the park - from my vantage point it looks like they pulled ahead below the tanker and climbed  in front of it around Meersbrook/Chesterfield Road

Yes, they overtook the Stratotanker as they got level with the park.

It’s mind boggling. The fact Tony has been tending the memorial for nigh on 50 years and his story goes untold. No one on earth knew his story and his dedication to those 10 men. 

Yet only 6 weeks before the 75th anniversary of the crash, a chance meeting between him and Dan leads to the spectacular events of today. 

Just an amazing tale and a brilliant day. Im guessing Tony will sleep well tonight and so he should. X

17 hours ago, lindylou53 said:

Such a moving experience and the old photo of the 10 airmen brings a lump to my throat.

All of them aged between 21 and 24.

Edited by Jim Hardie

On Amazon you can buy a book,

Mi Amigo: The Story of Sheffield's Flying Fortress  By David Harvey priced at £6.19 it’s only a A5 sized book and not very long but it gives a better insight to the event and what happened after wards. After what happened yesterday may be the Sheffield shop or WH Smiths may start and stock it.

Some old mates posted pictures on facebook of it from where they were watching from, Crosspool i believe was one vantage point

I agree there should be some recognition for what he has done all these years, free man of the city definitely a gong possibly but what would be nice would be for the Americans to take him and his son over to America and to the places where it all started with this so young a crew and pamper him while they can like he has looked after the memories of that crew.