Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

I was there today. A great experience.

Has there been an official estimate of the crowd size? I've scoured websites and social media and can't see anything.

No, several thousand were there it seemed.

Very moving story, I hope Tony enjoyed himself today and much respect for Dan Walker for bringing international attention to it.

Good though the crowd looked in Endcliffe Park, I doubt any figures for there will give 'justice' to the actual numbers watching from various locations around the 7 hills of Sheffield! I went to what I thought was a great location about a mile above Stannington.  Got a good view but not the great view I would have had if stayed at home a mile closer to Stannington where the jets flew over on their way out! 😂 Oh well, win some lose some!!

I think Tony needs to be recognised with an official honour (not that he'd want it), so much more deserving than some vacuous, virtue signalling celebrity.

42 minutes ago, convert said:

I think Tony needs to be recognised with an official honour (not that he'd want it), so much more deserving than some vacuous, virtue signalling celebrity.

Honorary Colonel of The USAAF/USAF.  "For Services". I doubt this  honour exists, but in Tony's case it should.

Edited by mad-dad

1 hour ago, convert said:

Well said.

Did you know that, on the (no doubt, very) odd occasion that Tony can't make it to the memorial, his son visits instead?

What a credit that man - and his son - is to us...

Let's hope that today's commemoration assuages some of Tony's 'guilt', bless 'im.

Fancy carrying that burden for 75 years....

Well done to Tony for getting this off the ground, to Dan for getting it the attention it deserved, and to the USAF and RAF for taking part.

And to the people of Sheffield for turning out for it.

It was quite surreal watching it on the TV and through my front window at the same time.

3 minutes ago, drolnhoj said:

It was quite surreal watching it on the TV and through my front window at the same time.

You no doubt had a good view with he trees gone. Great morning wasn't it.

6 minutes ago, WarPig said:

You no doubt had a good view with he trees gone. Great morning wasn't it.

Trees were never going affect my view. My view was from my bay window in Darnall, looking towards sky edge and Wybourn. Saw them coming in and was able to identify them from the TV commentary. Only ones I couldn't see were the last jets. I assume they approached from a different direction.

I don't remember seeing the Typhoons - I saw the Dakota first, what looked like a Hercules and a single Osprey, then the Stratotanker, with something (or things) smaller below it, climbing, then finally the four F15s  one of which I'm certain did a victory roll (but I couldn't lean far enough out of the window)

Did I get that correct ?

Were the Typhoons flying with the Stratotanker, or were they also F15 ?

Looks like Dan Walker is on the case to get a gog for Tony.