Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

Interesting account - I'd always assumed it came from the south (ish) parallel to Ecclesall Road from Banner Cross, but this seems to assert it came down from the north (ish) or more likely  from the east. Thinking on, given that Banner Cross alone is about 500ft above sea level, and the park is 350-400ft it can't have come from the south...

...anyway, I wonder if we'll be getting a preview of these freshly painted F15s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-47091176

I worked with a guy who as a lad lived on Meersbrook Avenue off Chesterfield Road. He was in the street and saw the aircraft fly over which seems to suggest that yes it was coming from the east.

19 hours ago, Runningman said:

I worked with a guy who as a lad lived on Meersbrook Avenue off Chesterfield Road. He was in the street and saw the aircraft fly over which seems to suggest that yes it was coming from the east.

But Meersbrook Avenue is south west of the city centre so surely it could have been coming from the south?

The line from Meersbrook Avenue to Endcliffe Park is SE to NW.

I didn't state that my pal saw the plane fly directly over Meersbrook Avenue, he just observed it from that location !

Do we have any idea what time the flypast will take place?

Between 7-9am apparently which is a shame as wanted to take my kids, can't get for that time 

10 hours ago, harleyd said:

Between 7-9am apparently which is a shame as wanted to take my kids, can't get for that time 

ooh that is early !  Can I ask where you got that info from - I can't find any timings anywhere.

does anyone know when the fly past is please?

Snippets taken from various reports from :- SCC News: Further details of Mi Amigo flypast released it is not a Council event it is to be covered live on BBC television from 6am to 9.15am.

The fly-past at Endcliffe Park will be between 7 am and 9 am on 22nd February.  We have no further information on this as it is not a Council event. 

The US Airforce and Royal Air Forces are organising a flypast featuring several of its aircraft in the park on Friday 22 February, with the event being captured live on BBC Breakfast between 7 and 9.15. Further details about the flypast, which will honour 75 years since the disaster, will be released soon.

Free travel is valid for current and ex-service personnel carrying identification cards or in uniform on First, Stagecoach and TM Travel bus services operating within the Sheffield boundary, and on Stagecoach Supertram services, between start of service and 12 noon on 22 February 2019. 

On the tram the customer should show a current forces ID card or wear a HM Armed Forces Veterans badge to get free travel on the day.

Services 81, 82, 83, 83a and 88 provide a bus at least every five minutes from the city centre to Endcliffe Park, with a journey time of approximately 15 minutes.  There will be no parking at Endcliffe Park with people advised to allow plenty of time and travel by public transport or on foot wherever possible. Park responsibly and allow plenty of time to get to the park.

ARRIVE IN PLENTY OF TIME, BUT NOT TOO EARLY

The BBC will be broadcasting live from the park from around 6am to 9.15am on the morning of the 22 February. However, there is no need to arrive at this time. People are encouraged to arrive at the park from around 7.15am. A memorial service will take place from around 8am with the flypast set to follow at 8.45am.

Due to the location of the memorial on the other side of the Porter Brook, there will be no immediate access to the memorial area during the BBC filming, from 6am to 9.15am, and access to the memorial and that side of the river may be limited afterwards.

The best viewing area will be in the large field close to the Endcliffe Park café, which will be serving teas and refreshments. A big screen will be there to relay events to the crowd.

VANTAGE POINTS and POTENTIAL ROUTE

It is believed that the flypast will arrive in Sheffield from the south-east before arriving in Endcliffe Park, although this route may be subject to change. The city has a number of lofty vantage points which might provide a spectacular back drop for the flyover, such as Bolehills Park, Park Hill flats, Skye Edge playing fields and the Botanical Gardens.

The flypast will also be broadcast on BBC Breakfast if you can’t make it into Sheffield on the day.