Campaign for flypast to honour 75th anniversary of plane crash in endcliffe park

Saw this on BBC Breakfast this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46738576

What a moving story - Tony was one of the kids playing in the park that day that the plane reportedly avoided, crashing into the hillside beyond and killing all ten airmen on board. He clearly has been suffering the trauma of this event for the last 75 years, and has tended the memorial ever since. 

The fly past clearly means a lot to him and I hope it would give him closure.

Wonderful story.  Really pleased that local BBC presenter Dan Walker is doing all he can to make it happen, including improving access.

Follow the updates here:

Saw Mr Foul a being interviewed on Look North last night.  So dedicated is he to upkeeping the memorial that he spends a number of days per week on site & apparently up to £1000 year keeping it looking respectable. 

Good work without looking for any reward.  Just does it out of respect. 

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Wonderful story.  Really pleased that local BBC presenter Dan Walker is doing all he can to make it happen, including improving access.

Follow the updates here:

Yes, great to see Dan Walker, as a local university alumnus getting involved. he seemed genuinely moved by the campaign.

Link below  for application form for fly past  .Fly pasts are free, applications have to be in by March 31. As  display season does not start until the end of May  and ends in September. Getting  a display in February  looks very unlikely.

Application for Flypast by the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team,. The Red Arrows. Return To: RAF Air Events Team. Tel: +44 (0) 20 8833 8769. Bentley Priory ...

RAF and US Air Force now assisting.  This is such a great story in an otherwise awful time of the year.

I saw the piece shared on social media this morning and found it so moving. I hope the fly past can be arranged in time and I hope the response in general will give Tony some sense that his life long work honouring those men is known and appreciated.

I think this is an absolute must to show that we have not forgotten and we are grateful. 

Absolutely agree. Respect and Honour. And most importantly, thanks

On 04/01/2019 at 13:01, Baron99 said:

Saw Mr Foul a being interviewed on Look North last night.  So dedicated is he to upkeeping the memorial that he spends a number of days per week on site & apparently up to £1000 year keeping it looking respectable. 

Good work without looking for any reward.  Just does it out of respect. 

the parks/council actually look after the memorial and is cleaned almost daily by them, i dont doubt this man puts some time in but to make out hes the only person who does work on this is disingenous.

there are a number of volunteers city wide who also work on memorials

Wondered how long it would take for someone to be negative. "cleaned daily" is not the same as putting in your heart and soul.

2 hours ago, Duckegg said:

Wondered how long it would take for someone to be negative. "cleaned daily" is not the same as putting in your heart and soul.

im not being negative i'm pointing out hes not the only person who volunteers on war memorials in the city  hes not even the only person who volunteers on the Mia Amigo memorial many people volunterr including the friends of groups.

i have seen that a new batch of volunteers may have even painted the timber handrails etc because this gentleman thoiught it needed it the fact its tanalised timber will mean it will look awful in a few years.

also its a war memorial you cant just go round doing what you want (however well intentioned) because you have some link to it otherwise people would be doing alsorts to various war memorials

Edited by Narden Dee