M1 mess at night

I've seen police vehicles with blues on going through these cameras and not get flashed 

I think there is an urban myth growing up around being caught on speed camera on the M1 when that are "off"

Lots of stories about seeing "flashes" but cannot anyone actually confirm someone they know has been caught.

Like many of the other respondents, I use the MI regularly (at least six times a week)  at varying times including rush hour in the mornings between J33 and J28 and must admit to occasionally (!) driving somewhat faster than is allowed. Not clever I know and I do try my best.

Have I been flashed - No. Have I had any enforcement notice - No

So... over to you.

2 hours ago, Jonmatt said:

I think there is an urban myth growing up around being caught on speed camera on the M1 when that are "off"

Lots of stories about seeing "flashes" but cannot anyone actually confirm someone they know has been caught.

Like many of the other respondents, I use the MI regularly (at least six times a week)  at varying times including rush hour in the mornings between J33 and J28 and must admit to occasionally (!) driving somewhat faster than is allowed. Not clever I know and I do try my best.

So... over to you.

Well, to be fair, if someone has been flashed, unless you follow them home and ask them to keep you updated, you aren’t going to know. Just because you haven’t seen personally it doesn’t make it an urban myth.

That said, the star article (sorry!) show 18000 motorists caught in about a year from 32 to 35a- which sounds a lot but really isn’t. Factor in how many motorists use that stretch, how many aren’t local and the chances of you knowing someone who got a ticket is quite small. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/how-policing-has-changed-since-m1-became-smart-motorway-through-south-yorkshire-1-9012580

On 1/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, DerbyTup said:

I wouldn't describe it as "horrific".   It may be inconvenient if you get stuck in it.   The OP is referring to a very short motorway journey, Sheffield to Nottingham.  I wish my motorway journey's were that short.  I travel from Sheffield to Surrey every week, twice a week.  It involves M1, A43, M40, M4, M25 or other combinations, including A38, M69, M6, M42.  Off peak it's about 3 hours - peak time could be 5 hours, usually around 4.  

Why do you do that travelling? That sounds absolutely awful. 

16 hours ago, Jonmatt said:

So... over to you.

I've just been up the M1 North from J31. Between J31 & J32 at least 2 vehicles have now got a speeding ticket winging their way to their homes, judging by the number of flashes. 

Flashes which were blinding.... 

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Well, to be fair, if someone has been flashed, unless you follow them home and ask them to keep you updated, you aren’t going to know. Just because you haven’t seen personally it doesn’t make it an urban myth.

That said, the star article (sorry!) show 18000 motorists caught in about a year from 32 to 35a- which sounds a lot but really isn’t. Factor in how many motorists use that stretch, how many aren’t local and the chances of you knowing someone who got a ticket is quite small. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/how-policing-has-changed-since-m1-became-smart-motorway-through-south-yorkshire-1-9012580

Appreciate the  comments. Out of the 18000 I wonder how many went through too fast when the cameras were actually on? I also agree about not being able to confirm directly whether or not it is an urban myth but as yet I have still not had anyone say they have been caught and fined albeit the comment above again makes reference to someone being "flashed"

Really, only two cars at that point going in excess of the 72mph limit that has been suggested previously?

I don't doubt there is enforcement action and the potential for it certainly effects my driving for the better. But I think the level is exaggerated

11 hours ago, OneSon said:

Why do you do that travelling? That sounds absolutely awful. 

In one word:

Money.

In more than one word:

I'm self-employed.  I was previously a senior director of a major multi-national corporation.  I built up a lot of experience in a specific field and my expertise, fortunately, is in demand. The problem is, most of these big international companies are based in the South of England, around the M4/M25 corridor.

I get offered contracts to work for various companies - the contracts can be 3 months to 12 months - sometimes longer.  It's my choice whether to take those contracts or not - but needless to say they can be very lucrative.  I earn more in one day than my partner earns in a month.  Mind you, she doesn't earn a lot!  But that's how it goes.   The other side to this coin is, I never know for sure, when I will have work or for how long.  I "lose" my job every few months when contracts come to an end.  If I'm lucky I can get another gig pretty quickly, but I have gone the best part of a year with not a single penny being earned - and that's quite scary!  So, it's a case of, make hay whilst the sun is shining.

I usually choose to work no more than 3 days a week on these type of projects - but that's not because of the travelling.  I resent leaving home and making that long drive, but I usually set off on a Monday evening and drive for about 3 hours down to the Thames Valley, where I rent a cottage on a working farm.  It's blissful.  Very rural location, lots of peace and quiet.  Wonderful wildlife (and I mean birds, like red kites, not the non-feathered type)!.  It makes a nice base whilst I'm down there - so I do actually enjoy it when I get there - I just don't like the drive.  But, it's needs must.

I only work 3 days a week at this because I have other commercial interests as well.  I have more than one business.  My other business is in a related field, but my role there is as Chief Exec, so I get to strategically manage the organisation rather than do the work on the ground floor as it were.    

My plan is to get to a point where I can take most of my earnings from my Chief Exec role and reduce the need for me to go off on "gigs" to the South of England.  But I'm not there yet! 

Guest makapaka
On 11/01/2019 at 07:54, DerbyTup said:

In one word:

Money.

In more than one word:

I'm self-employed.  I was previously a senior director of a major multi-national corporation.  I built up a lot of experience in a specific field and my expertise, fortunately, is in demand. The problem is, most of these big international companies are based in the South of England, around the M4/M25 corridor.

I get offered contracts to work for various companies - the contracts can be 3 months to 12 months - sometimes longer.  It's my choice whether to take those contracts or not - but needless to say they can be very lucrative.  I earn more in one day than my partner earns in a month.  Mind you, she doesn't earn a lot!  But that's how it goes.   The other side to this coin is, I never know for sure, when I will have work or for how long.  I "lose" my job every few months when contracts come to an end.  If I'm lucky I can get another gig pretty quickly, but I have gone the best part of a year with not a single penny being earned - and that's quite scary!  So, it's a case of, make hay whilst the sun is shining.

I usually choose to work no more than 3 days a week on these type of projects - but that's not because of the travelling.  I resent leaving home and making that long drive, but I usually set off on a Monday evening and drive for about 3 hours down to the Thames Valley, where I rent a cottage on a working farm.  It's blissful.  Very rural location, lots of peace and quiet.  Wonderful wildlife (and I mean birds, like red kites, not the non-feathered type)!.  It makes a nice base whilst I'm down there - so I do actually enjoy it when I get there - I just don't like the drive.  But, it's needs must.

I only work 3 days a week at this because I have other commercial interests as well.  I have more than one business.  My other business is in a related field, but my role there is as Chief Exec, so I get to strategically manage the organisation rather than do the work on the ground floor as it were.    

My plan is to get to a point where I can take most of my earnings from my Chief Exec role and reduce the need for me to go off on "gigs" to the South of England.  But I'm not there yet! 

Thanks for the career update - I think they were just interested as to why you you might commute that far.

are you on LinkedIn :):):)

On 11/01/2019 at 07:43, Jonmatt said:

Appreciate the  comments. Out of the 18000 I wonder how many went through too fast when the cameras were actually on? I also agree about not being able to confirm directly whether or not it is an urban myth but as yet I have still not had anyone say they have been caught and fined albeit the comment above again makes reference to someone being "flashed"

Really, only two cars at that point going in excess of the 72mph limit that has been suggested previously?

I don't doubt there is enforcement action and the potential for it certainly effects my driving for the better. But I think the level is exaggerated

I have an update on this.

I was flashed just after joining at junc 33, doing 83mph (digital speedo).

I'll let you know in a few weeks whether I get a ticket for it or not... 😞

Perhaps. We'll see.  I'll let you know if I do.

Edited by Cyclone