M1 mess at night

On 26/01/2019 at 12:42, Cyclone said:

I have an update on this.

I was flashed just after joining at junc 33, doing 83mph (digital speedo).

I'll let you know in a few weeks whether I get a ticket for it or not... 😞

It's been a fortnight now and I've not had a ticket.  It was the evening of the 24th, which makes it 14 days today and the post just came.  If it arrives tomorrow then it's outside the 14 day window for a NIP to be served.

Chances are though that the cameras are flashing but they aren't actually recording or they aren't issuing tickets for some reason.

I did speculate that perhaps an earlier temporary limit had been in place, and for some reasons the cameras remain active...  Doesn't really make a lot of sense though.

I've also been through the same portion of motorway again, just over a week later, last Friday at about 0700.  I was very careful to not speed of course, but there were multiple cars in the fast lane doing 80+ and the camera wasn't flashing.  So it's not "on" all the time and even when it is "on" perhaps isn't always issuing tickets.

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's been a fortnight now and I've not had a ticket.  It was the evening of the 24th, which makes it 14 days today and the post just came.  If it arrives tomorrow then it's outside the 14 day window for a NIP to be served.

Chances are though that the cameras are flashing but they aren't actually recording or they aren't issuing tickets for some reason.

I did speculate that perhaps an earlier temporary limit had been in place, and for some reasons the cameras remain active...  Doesn't really make a lot of sense though.

I've also been through the same portion of motorway again, just over a week later, last Friday at about 0700.  I was very careful to not speed of course, but there were multiple cars in the fast lane doing 80+ and the camera wasn't flashing.  So it's not "on" all the time and even when it is "on" perhaps isn't always issuing tickets.

Cross your fingers !!! You might just have got away with it!!! 

BTW, there isn't a "fast lane" on our networks, even for those who blatantly break the NSL laws!!

It's common parlance which you apparently understood.

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's common parlance which you apparently understood.

That may be, but still prolifically wrong. There is no public interest to call the outside lane of a motorway a "fast lane' as that implies that speeding is acceptable, especially when speeds of 80mph are bandied about. Too many speeding tickets and you could end up as one of our residents , or worse still cause an accident. 

Why on earth people can't just drive within the limits is astounding, and to be honest those who do flout the speeding laws really do deserve the full weight of the justice system. 

Yes, I'm not disputing that there is no fast lane.  I said it's common parlance, not that it's technically correct.

One of your residents?

Why the limit wasn't raised to 80 a long time ago I don't know.  (Actually I do know all the points both for and against, so no need to list them out).

Do they, the "full weight" of the justice system is deserved by the 90% of motorists who speed on the motorway (figure entirely made up, I don't have time to google it).  Perhaps the law should actually be adjusted to suit the desires of the majority of the population instead of the reverse?  The law can be wrong you know, see: homosexuality being a crime, women not being allowed to vote, slavery being legal, etc...

Edited by Cyclone

Appears to confirm that there is somewhat (note the word) of an urban myth growing around the camera's flashing when no speed restrictions are in force. By the way 83 is pushing it a bit!

12 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Yes, I'm not disputing that there is no fast lane.  I said it's common parlance, not that it's technically correct.

One of your residents?

Why the limit wasn't raised to 80 a long time ago I don't know.  (Actually I do know all the points both for and against, so no need to list them out).

Do they, the "full weight" of the justice system is deserved by the 90% of motorists who speed on the motorway (figure entirely made up, I don't have time to google it).  Perhaps the law should actually be adjusted to suit the desires of the majority of the population instead of the reverse?  The law can be wrong you know, see: homosexuality being a crime, women not being allowed to vote, slavery being legal, etc...

This is the point you see. You are more than happy to flout the law because you don't agree with it. 

What a superb attitude to declare!!

It it may be annoying and thought provoking in today's fast paced instant gratification society, but the choice to ignore it and do as you like is not the answer. 

And your analogy of "what the population desires" just about sums up the belief that people can do as they please and argue their innocence based on the "I didn't agree with that law so I flouted it" mentality. 

Crime is crime and offences are offences, whether you agree with them or not, and until they are amended, they will remain enforced. 

15 hours ago, Shunter said:

This is the point you see. You are more than happy to flout the law because you don't agree with it. 

What a superb attitude to declare!!

It it may be annoying and thought provoking in today's fast paced instant gratification society, but the choice to ignore it and do as you like is not the answer. 

And your analogy of "what the population desires" just about sums up the belief that people can do as they please and argue their innocence based on the "I didn't agree with that law so I flouted it" mentality. 

Crime is crime and offences are offences, whether you agree with them or not, and until they are amended, they will remain enforced. 

If people hadn't flouted the law when homosexuality was illegal where would we be?

How about people who illegally help slaves to escape?

Until fairly recently blasphemy was illegal!

Morality is something we have to define for ourselves.  Don't get me wrong, speeding isn't the equivalent of hiding a Jew in nazi germany, but just because something is the law doesn't make it right.

And going back to speeding, if the vast majority of the public speed on the motorway, then I'd suggest that it's the law that is wrong, not the public.  You don't have to agree of course.

Edited by Cyclone

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

If people hadn't flouted the law when homosexuality was illegal where would we be?

How about people who illegally help slaves to escape?

Until fairly recently blasphemy was illegal!

Morality is something we have to define for ourselves.  Don't get me wrong, speeding isn't the equivalent of hiding a Jew in nazi germany, but just because something is the law doesn't make it right.

And going back to speeding, if the vast majority of the public speed on the motorway, then I'd suggest that it's the law that is wrong, not the public.  You don't have to agree of course.

I'm not so sure that the vast majority of people do speed. If we were to assume that was the case, which is clearly defined as being against the law, then what if the majority decided that it would no longer pay council tax or take it upon themselves to lynch a rapist?

Its just not the way we behave anymore in modern civilisation. As much as the law may seem an ass sometimes, you and I and every other decent law abiding citizen has a duty to accept it, so your suggestion that the law is wrong is neither here nor there.

When the vast majority decided they didn't want to pay the poll tax it was rather quickly scrapped.

I disagree, I think we have a duty to ignore laws which we don't agree with.

13 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

When the vast majority decided they didn't want to pay the poll tax it was rather quickly scrapped.

I disagree, I think we have a duty to ignore laws which we don't agree with.

Well if you are prepared to ignore laws and do as you please then that can have repercussions that are life changing. Criminal records follow you around like a shadow, and if you think your lack of respect for the law is worth the risk, I suggest you look in a mirror and have a good long talk with yourself.

Yes, imagine all the people that were convicted of having homosexual relationships and how that criminal record shadowed them.

If you think that it being the law automatically makes it correct then I think you need to have a look in the mirror and have a good long talk with yourself.