Hygiene standards of a meadowhall store

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/revolting-conditions-inside-meadowhall-milkshake-bar-shakeaway-exposed-in-shocking-pictures-1-9518975

Absolutely disgusting. 

I've previously worked in a fast-food outlet and cleanliness was the number one priority. 

Franchisee should lose the licence and/or Meadowhall should revoke the lease. 

Really disappointed. Meadowhall should probably have a system to monitor food and drinks' outlets as it does affect its reputation, irrespective as of whether local councils have their own systems or not.

1 hour ago, jamichi1 said:

Really disappointed. Meadowhall should probably have a system to monitor food and drinks' outlets as it does affect its reputation, irrespective as of whether local councils have their own systems or not.

The local authority one is a bit of a joke tbh. Businesses can score a 1 and still be allowed to operate. 

Given what I know of hygiene standards and the council rating system, for me no food outlet should be able to serve food if they score 3 or less. It should be an immediate closure & prosecution for 1 and under. 

Meadowhall's Health & Safety team should have picked up on this. When I worked there they used to inspect the stores.

4 hours ago, Resident said:

Given what I know of hygiene standards and the council rating system, for me no food outlet should be able to serve food if they score 3 or less. It should be an immediate closure & prosecution for 1 and under. 

More importantly, why on earth would anyone want to eat at a place with a Food Hygiene Rating of less than 3?

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

More importantly, why on earth would anyone want to eat at a place with a Food Hygiene Rating of less than 3?

I'd question a few that have rated 5,. I walk past a takeaway daily that has a 5 rating, you can see the kitchen window is caked in old fat and dirt I check and their rating of 5 was more from than two years ago.

Personally i don't think spot checks are carried often enough, if they are done at all.

It would be time consuming and costly but maybe all premises serving food should have an annual check to ensure  standards are maintained.  Maybe mystery shoppers employed by the council would help.  They could report back at least what they can see as a customer but obviously wouldn't be able to comment on the areas out of view.  Very little action gets taken anyway when premises are given a 1 or a 0.  I know a sandwich shop which was given a 1 about 6 months ago, they were told to make improvements but they haven't and no one has been back to check anyway.  

On 1/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Top Cats Hat said:

The mind boggles. Though my favourite takeaway once got a 2 because the hand-wash sink was broken and they were using the sink in the staff toilet. That rating stuck for a year. 

On 1/4/2019 at 1:34 PM, steve68 said:

I'd question a few that have rated 5,. I walk past a takeaway daily that has a 5 rating, you can see the kitchen window is caked in old fat and dirt I check and their rating of 5 was more from than two years ago.

Personally i don't think spot checks are carried often enough, if they are done at all.

Well that's the thing, they're not. It should be done at least once a year or after the first 6 months when businesses change owners. 

If a business scores a 3 it should be every 6 months until it gets a 4/5. 

A 2 should get a written notice giving 7 days to rectify or face closure

A 1 should be a temporary closure with immediate effect until standards are met

A zero should be complete closure of the business. 

But it comes down to resources and the lack thereof. 

I am no expert on this but my wife has worked in resteraunts and told me some of the horror stories about hygiene and she will not eat out anywhere without doing some carefull research beforehand.

Edited by spilldig

An example of a system.
Many will know how this works.

Selective licensing was introduced in certain areas of the UK, to ensure landlords adhered to a certain standard. The fees generated  from these licenses fund the cost of checks on premises that are let.

What if something similar was introduced for food outlets? Would it be a suitable way to fund additional council staff, enabling much more frequent inspections?