Living alone?

I live alone, only since my daughter left home, not something that I want to do.

In the past 20 years, the number of middle-aged/older people living alone has almost doubled. More than 25% of households(almost 8 million) live alone, what strange time we live in.

Should that be seen as something worrying, or a positive sign of how much money we now have, that we can afford to live alone?

There are about 25 million homes in the UK, 7.7 million live alone.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/number-middle-aged-people-living-alone-uk-soars/

I'm not sure i'd define it as a 'strange time we live in'

As the report said, it could simply be down to an increased population and a higher proportion of those people single, divorced or never married.

29 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I live alone, only since my daughter left home, not something that I want to do.

In the past 20 years, the number of middle-aged/older people living alone has almost doubled. More than 25% of households(almost 8 million) live alone, what strange time we live in.

Should that be seen as something worrying, or a positive sign of how much money we now have, that we can afford to live alone?

There are about 25 million homes in the UK, 7.7 million live alone.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/number-middle-aged-people-living-alone-uk-soars/

The number  of people afflicted by loneliness has also soared. It is another silent killer. The effects on health of  loneliness is said to be equevelent to smoking 15 cigarettes  every day.  NB: Being alone does not necessarily mean the person is lonely.

I think that it is generally a positive thing: many people prefer to live the majority of their lives in their own space, space that they feel safe in and that is organised how they want it to be. Such people might have very rich lives with family, friends and activities. Or they might have quite a sparse life with little human contact, and this may not be what they want, but that they have the choice to live as they do must be a positive thing.

Living alone is not the same as being lonely.

2 hours ago, SnailyBoy said:

I'm not sure i'd define it as a 'strange time we live in'

As the report said, it could simply be down to an increased population and a higher proportion of those people single, divorced or never married.

I guess there are some 'normal' changes; as a person living alone, I have been looking unsuccessfully for a partner.

Thats maybe just me, but years ago people would have lived together out of need. Have we become alien towards other people?

I havnt found a partner, so I have found a lodger instead, because I like to think that I can get on with other people.

I've lived on my own for over 16 years.  Never once have I felt lonely or alone.  

I do have cats to speak to, which probably helps.

I've always thought that it helps to enjoy your own company and have a healthy social life, which I do.

3 hours ago, tlangdon12 said:

I think that it is generally a positive thing: many people prefer to live the majority of their lives in their own space, space that they feel safe in and that is organised how they want it to be. Such people might have very rich lives with family, friends and activities. Or they might have quite a sparse life with little human contact, and this may not be what they want, but that they have the choice to live as they do must be a positive thing.

Living alone is not the same as being lonely.

There are plenty of lonely and miserable people around who are still married and living together.  :gag:

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

There are plenty of lonely and miserable people around who are still married and living together.  :gag:

I think its a case of the grass is greener, me a singleton wants to live with another person, I prefer a female, but I would even accept a male  😬

I think the asian origin families have it right- tending to live in large family units for longer rather than flying the nest as soon as possible.  Apart from the family fun, think of the money saved- one mortgage, one set of council tax / energy bills / water rates etc. Food bought at bulk prices. Cars shared.  And the old folk arent turfed into a nursing home when they cant look after themselves anymore.  The family repay them for the care they received from them, by looking after them to the end.  Cant knock it

I agree with all that minx. It seems to be a good way to live. 

2 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I think the asian origin families have it right- tending to live in large family units for longer rather than flying the nest as soon as possible.  Apart from the family fun, think of the money saved- one mortgage, one set of council tax / energy bills / water rates etc. Food bought at bulk prices. Cars shared.  And the old folk arent turfed into a nursing home when they cant look after themselves anymore.  The family repay them for the care they received from them, by looking after them to the end.  Cant knock it

It has advantages but I don’t think it’s the bed of roses you portray.

In developing countries like India as the middle classes grow in number, and the industrial/services economy  expands those bonds are being broken. Younger  people want and need to move out into their own places, into the cities where the well paying jobs are.

I'd say it is still a good social model that works.

When Asian family members have to branch out, the same cycle continues with each new family.

Edited by Janus