Mrs. brown's boys....

4 hours ago, Hots on said:

I hate it. Its not so much the show itself, its just the snob in me despises the culture around it and the "types" of people I (rightly or wrongly, though probably rightly) perceive enjoying it, and I don't want to be remotely associated with it/them because I do consider myself intellectually above it.

That is a big part of the hate the show receives.    I dont think its as simple as people merely saying its "rubbish" -   its a lot more about snobbery.

Mrs Browns Boys is not clever or witty or subtle or intellectual or even well acted.    However, nobody can deny that its not a complete breath of fresh air in the schedules.    No elitist univeristy educated comedians pushing their agenda disguised as jokes.  No posh luvvie actors playing some thought provoking historical role which you need a classics degree and 4 hours to understand.    No depressing 'gritty' crime drama with a suited detective with a backstoried personal life problem and a stack of unsolved corpses to deal with.  

Its just half an hour of silly, crude, predictable, repetative  - almost panto style nonsesnse which despite the snobbery is drawing in millions of viewers - even this year (despite more channels and networks than ever) still got over 4 million viewers - beating both of ITVs flagship soap operas in the ratings charts.

Whatever the reason for its popularity, and I certainly cannot guess it, there is no denying that its got a following.    You cannot do something for 20+ years (including many years on Irish Radio, 2 films and numerous books) without a majority of people liking it.    Im sure The Carrolls really care about the criticism when they are sat in their Florida holiday homes counting their ticket sales and broadcast royalties.

13 minutes ago, ormester said:

was good while it lasted run its cause now 

I would agree with that.   I suspect the creators and cast are thinking that too since they have cut down from regular series to merely a couple of annual specials only.     They milked enough money out of the old dear. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

I can quite easily deny that it is a breath of fresh air in the schedules...it is fould, smelly dank air.

Trust me. I've tried, I've really tried to like Mrs Brown, sitting through a number of episodes & the dvd of the film last year but no.  While my wife is in fits, I generally struggle to raise an eyebrow.  Mrs Brown really is like Marmite.  

I can't believe that this is the best in entertainment that N. Ireland can provide?  I don't believe that it isn't the case of the humour not travelling either when we've had the likes of the brilliant Father Ted or the equally funny Still Game from Scotland. 

Mrs Brown is like watching a 70's sitcom. 

On a plus note, Brendon O'Carroll did do take part in brilliant Who Do You Think You Are? 

Northern Ireland?   Careful with talk like that.

Its well and truely set  in Dublin.    They are fictionally living in the suburb of Finglas and Caroll himself was born and raised there in real life..

On 1/3/2019 at 1:51 PM, RiffRaff said:

Why?

About as juvenile and unfunny as Peter Glaves and Co. on Crackerjack - "Crackerjack!" - many years ago.

Lousy acting, appalling script, and yet gets peak viewing hours over the Christmas nights.

Can anyone explain the appeal, please?!

There was an excuse for crackerjack, it was for kids.  There is no excuse for this garbage. :gag:

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

There was an excuse for crackerjack, it was for kids.  There is no excuse for this garbage. :gag:

Agreed. Puerile, pointless and embarrassing.

I'd like to be able to defend the programme, having been born and raised in Dun Laoghaire - a stones-throw south of Dublin - but I don't recognise any humour in it at all!

41 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Agreed. Puerile, pointless and embarrassing.

I'd like to be able to defend the programme, having been born and raised in Dun Laoghaire - a stones-throw south of Dublin - but I don't recognise any humour in it at all!

To prove the Irish people have a great sense of humour watch Young Offenders., very funny.  :thumbsup:

You can sense Brendan O'Carroll's frustration that he hasn't been picked up by Hollywood by now.