Swfc v luton

2 hours ago, zakes said:

swfc v Luton

I recall the wednesday v Chelsea cup tie of 1973. Here is a pic of the celebrations after the wednesday goal, scored by Roy Coyle. Sunley and Joicey joining in the fun. Here is a pic of Osgood scoring the Chelsea winner, with Clements, Prophett and Grummitt ball-wetching. With Osgood not being fully recognisable on the pic, here are 2 other photos of him 1 2 . I don’t have a pic of Bill Garner scoring the first Chelsea goal. Instead, here is a pic of Garner having scored against Leicester City, with Steve Kember joining in the celebrations.

post 56. Albert Smith. A Baaarnsley supporter I believe.

Vic Mobley, the player who received a career ending injury in the 1966 semi against Chelsea, at Villa Park, managed to continue playing at wednesday for a further two years or so. He was then transferred to QPR in 1969 for £55, 000. During his 2 years at QPR an often injured Mobley played in a couple of dozen or so matches, then retired from playing. QPR then tried to sue sheffield wednesday, claiming compensation. I don’t know the outcome of the claim. In my opinion, a buying club should give a would be new signing a rigorous medical before signing him. If QPR didn’t detect any problems with Mobley at his medical, then surely they have no valid claim against sheffield wednesday for selling them a croc.

Mobley left QPR in 197 1(5 years after a career ending injury), then emigrated to New Zealand. Kiwis can’t fly.

I liked the barrel-chested Vic Mobley as a player, and he willingly signed autographs.

Three pics of 'brave lad' Vic Mobley.  1 2 3.

Vic Mobley's younger brother, David, was also a player at Gillsborough, but as far as I know he didn’t play in the first team. I did see him occasionally playing in the stiffs though. He was a reight-back. Young Mobley later went on to better things by playing first team football with Grimsby Town. He later played for non-league Macclesfield.

post 18. Rogets.

Nah then Rogets, I enjoy most of your posts, they are quite amusing. Your posts are far more humourous than the posts of your fellow owl. . . the one who has his bedroom decorated in Glenn Hoddle print wallpaper.

Anyway, you mentioned Scunthorpe.

I remember the day Scunthorpe went to Gillsborough in January 1970. The match was an FA cup-tie with Scunthorpe running out as easy winners, winning 2-1. Jack Whitham scored in the early minutes for the home team. John Barker equalised for Scunny about the 20 minute mark. The goal was a daring diving header, but Barker got kicked in the head by a clumsy Colin Prophett. Concussed Barker was then taken off to hospital. About the 70 minute mark, Nigel Cassidy [1 2 3] scored with a header to give Scunthorpe a well deserved FA cup victory. At the time, Scunthorpe were in the old 4th Division, and wednesday were in the top league, the old first division. wednesday didn’t put out a weakened team on that memorable day.

A 19 year old Kevin Keegan played in the Scunthorpe team that day [1 2].

Strangely enough, the match was covered by Anglia Television.

Did wednesday get relegated that season?

wednesday have a good chance of beating Chelsea in the next round, as long as you don’t put out a weakened team.

W. A. W. A. W.      code.

Lol, he was still Joe Keegan in the first photo.

Great tache on Nigel Cassidy.

I remember Jack Whitham's Wednesday debut. Came on at halftime and scored twice. Wednesday had a penalty at the death for 8-0. McCalliog snatched the ball, took the pen and missed it. Jack was robbed of a hat-trick against his home town club (Burnley) on his league debut.

Can't tell you what I thought about McCalliog. Selfish get.

Edited by Jim Hardie

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Lol, he was still Joe Keegan in the first photo.

Great tache on Nigel Cassidy.

I remember Jack Whitham's Wednesday debut. Came on at halftime and scored twice. Wednesday had a penalty at the death for 8-0. McCalliog snatched the ball, took the pen and missed it. Jack was robbed of a hat-trick against his home town club (Burnley) on his league debut.

Can't tell you what I thought about McCalliog. Selfish get.

Regarding McCalliog and penalties,  I recall on his first return to Hillsborough with Wolves , the Owls had a penalty at the kop end and McCalliog stood behind the taker (forget who) gesticulating  to the Wolves 'keeper to which side the ball would be hit ('keeper's left) as he knew the taker's routine. The goalie wrongly dived to the right and the ball going in the other corner for a goal to the Owls. Well Jimmy Mac went ballistic at this , screaming at the goalie and jumping up and down like a spoiled little kid. Remember that Jim ? Not many laughable moments that season but that was one.

8 hours ago, St Petre said:

Albert, if you are talking about cinemas, The Forum (later Essoldo) was at Herries Road, Southey Green. The one at Barnsley Road,Lane Top was the Capitol (later Essoldo).

All this info , It gets confusing , until you put two and two together and come up with blinking three.

2 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

All this info , It gets confusing , until you put two and two together and come up with blinking three.

Code.

Against City , Mike Doyle missed  the penalty  he send the ball straight into the keepers hands, but a young  Bowyer had not read the script and scored twice to send us down

9 hours ago, St Petre said:

Regarding McCalliog and penalties,  I recall on his first return to Hillsborough with Wolves , the Owls had a penalty at the kop end and McCalliog stood behind the taker (forget who) gesticulating  to the Wolves 'keeper to which side the ball would be hit ('keeper's left) as he knew the taker's routine. The goalie wrongly dived to the right and the ball going in the other corner for a goal to the Owls. Well Jimmy Mac went ballistic at this , screaming at the goalie and jumping up and down like a spoiled little kid. Remember that Jim ? Not many laughable moments that season but that was one.

Can't say as I remember that Saint but sounds true to form. 

I was at Old Trafford when Denis Law's back heel sent the reds down. McCalliog was in the United team that day. 

17 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

Against City , Mike Doyle missed  the penalty  he send the ball straight into the keepers hands, but a young  Bowyer had not read the script and scored twice to send us down

Definitely remember that. Was it Peter Grummit that could have chucked his cap on the pen? 

I travelled from Stockport by train and taxi for that and missed the first 20 minutes or so. What a let down.

Grummitt was the keeper at that time, He  pointed where he was going to put it Jim.  TonyColeman scored  for us and Phil Bowyer got both for City.

19 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

Grummitt was the keeper at that time, He  pointed where he was going to put it Jim.  TonyColeman scored  for us and Phil Bowyer got both for City.

Don't know what was said but Wilf Smith spoke to Doyle just before it was taken.

Trying to erase this era from my memory Jim, and it got worse as you know.

20 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

20 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

What got worse Alan the Owl's performance or the rain ? Also, wasn't that Tommy Craig's first season at S6 ?

26 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Don't know what was said but Wilf Smith spoke to Doyle just before it was taken.

That was perhaps Wilf's last game for the Owls as he left for Coventry soon after.

6 minutes ago, St Petre said:

What got worse Alan the Owl's performance or the rain ? Also, wasn't that Tommy Craig's first season at S6 ?

That was perhaps Wilf's last game for the Owls as he left for Coventry soon after.

Yes, Tommy Craig's first season. A British record signing for a teenager, at £100k.

We also broke the same record when we signed McCalliog for £37,500.

11 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Yes, Tommy Craig's first season. A British record signing for a teenager, at £100k.

We also broke the same record when we signed McCalliog for £37,500.

Your Wednesdayites always showing off ,it meks mi eyes watter.