As the year comes to a close, what really got your goat?

2019 is just a few hours away for me, and so I'm using the time to reflect on 2018. What has happened that has really annoyed you, or pleasantly surprised you this year?

For me, I've been very let down by politics.  I don't live in the UK, and so my gripes with politicians aren't related to Brexit etc. But across a wide number of countries e.g. Britain, US, China, Brazil, Hong Kong, I've been really disappointed with the efforts and approaches of politicians. Without going into details, I just feel that politicans are increasingly empty, they provide nothing - no ambition or plans, merely just vassals to carry out the whim/policies of whoever can help them the most at the present time.  Perhaps the more experienced members on here will point out that this has always happened, however I just seem to notice it more and more, and it is so disappointing. 

On the positive side, I've been hugely impressed with the younger generation.  Let me explain! Without going into very boring details, the younger generation is currently experiencing a vast about of propaganda (I'm not talking about Sheffield/UK here, but it may apply).  Yet, despite all the pressures e.g. National Education policies, one sided curricula and syllabi, the younger generations have impressed me with their resourcefulness and critical thinking, enabling them to reach their own thoughts/'truths' and not be swayed. This, for me is very encouraging and I hope it continues into the new year.

Happy 2019 to all the members on here, wishing everyone all the best!  

Brexit & the politicians elected to deal with it.  The people have spoken in the largest democratic vote the UK has ever seen but you all seem incapable of delivering on a clear leave vote, despite you often telling the electorate that we need to pay vast sums of money to the 651 of you because you're the brightest & best. 

Local politicians who think they know best. 

I'd consider moving this posting to general discussion rather than 'Entertainmen'. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Putin, I used to admire Russia ,even when it was the Soviet Union ,but sending his murderers around the World to bump people off as well as his annexation of the Crimea has changed my mind , I now think he is the new Hitler and could send the World into chaos before 2019 is out.

It is more apparent that many no longer take any serious interest in politics, judging by some of the things that they post on social media, this is disappointing. But it does make me more resolved to make a difference.

For those that want to make a difference, a choice between left or right, is also disappointing.

Right wingers in the Labour PLP exploiting and exaggerating anti-semitism in order to depose their leader. Shameful behaviour. 

Liz McDonald. Never liked her and my advice would be to tell Mick to go back to Brookside.

central banks manipulating interest rates and attempting to wipe the middle class out 

Edited by craig12

The left wing's growing influence on what people are allowed to say and think. 1984 is becoming a reality, slowly but surely.

Idiots who sit in the middle of motorways when lane one is empty.

And all British politicians. They’re an embarrassment.

Politicians who are so thick they cannot understand that the public voted to LEAVE the EU, not stay tied to them in all but name. 

Morons ,the lot of them. 

43 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We dont always see eye to eye , but you are spot on here.

Edited by Penistone999

40 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I would not advise them to sit in lane  one either.

I would add Trumps tweets,but they do belong in the Entertainment section

People who buy more food than they need then throw half of it away. You see them at the supermarket checkouts with their trolleys stacked halfway up to the ceiling because they grab anything which takes their fancy, rather than thinking about how much they can eat before the eat by date expires. The natural world is being destroyed to provide farm and grazing land to provide food that gets thrown away.