Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Heinz tomato ketchup

Recommended Posts

On 1/1/2019 at 1:18 AM, Longcol said:

Always preferred Cross & Blackwell beans.

 

Whichever brand you use, adding a small knob of butter to the beans in the pan helps improve consistency and flavour no end.

BUTTER!. BUTTER!

 

OMG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 12:44 PM, topten said:

Can anyone remember when, as a new bottle you sometimes had to stick a knife in it to get it flowing. Todays version is **** thin and tasteless, bring back the real stuff.

Yes, and yes it is.

 

Buy Red Gold ketchup. Way better, the best in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 11:19 PM, I1L2T3 said:

It’s never happened has it. 

 

No UK government ever forced Heinz to change a recipe

I don't think they force change. What I think they do is put pressure on to reduce whatever ingredient they currently don't like, be it eggs, dairy produce, fat, sugar, etc, but is it just me, or does anyone else think that hp sauce is not a patch on what it was ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 5:44 PM, topten said:

Can anyone remember when, as a new bottle you sometimes had to stick a knife in it to get it flowing. Todays version is **** thin and tasteless, bring back the real stuff.

Perhaps that's because it was in a cold bottle, which kept it cooler and prevented it flowing?

 

Now its in a plastic bottle which is just squeezed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Perhaps that's because it was in a cold bottle, which kept it cooler and prevented it flowing?

 

Now its in a plastic bottle which is just squeezed.

Im no scientist but surely whether plastic or glass the bottle will assume the ambient temperature? Glass may feel cooler but thats because it conducts heat better away from your fingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 10:38 AM, davyboy said:

Our local Tesco sells  a Polish tomato ketchup which I think is  better than the Heinz AND is cheaper at £1.15.

Better in what way, taste nicer? That could just mean more sugar.

 

I bought some Heinz ketchup yesterday, reduced sugar and salt,  174% of tomatoes per 100g of ketchup. The cheap sauces were over 50% sugar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hellmans do a nice tomato ketchup, it is sweetened with honey rather than sugar, and its really tomatoey.

I couldn't find any recently, and ended up buying Heinz, and was really disappointed.  That reminds me, I must buy some more....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, El Cid said:

Better in what way, taste nicer? That could just mean more sugar.

 

I bought some Heinz ketchup yesterday, reduced sugar and salt,  174% of tomatoes per 100g of ketchup. The cheap sauces were over 50% sugar.

Heinz        148g tomatoes/100g ketchup and22.8g sugar/100g. salt1.8g/100g  460g ketchup

Pudliszki  192g tomatoes/100g ketchup and 29g sugar/100g . salt 3.2g/100g  480gketchup

Tastes OK

 

Edited by davyboy
added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Low low salt and sugar one is good, I prefer it now, the normal ones tastes far too sweet. Same as giving up sugar in tea, it;s what you get used to!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, davyboy said:

Heinz        148g tomatoes/100g ketchup and22.8g sugar/100g. salt1.8g/100g  460g ketchup

Pudliszki  192g tomatoes/100g ketchup and 29g sugar/100g . salt 3.2g/100g  480gketchup

Tastes OK

 

It may not be added sugar though, these are confusing; tomatoes contain sugar, so more tomatoes means more sugar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.