Heinz tomato ketchup

On 12/29/2018 at 6:13 PM, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As a Heinz Tom Ketchup user, I have to agree 100%. 

I was going to post the other day about Heinz Baked Beans, but changed my mind. But here you go, what has happened to them, the beans are hardish, and the sauce is like water and just about tasteless. The beans used to be lovely and soft and the juice was thick and tasty.

Just another point, if you open the plastic packs of four carefully the juice has almost seperated and is water thin on the top.

My best guess would be the salt and sugar police have won the day and spoiled the product.

Angel1.

Switch to Branston's beans, far tastier.  Even found that Sainsbury's own brand baked beans are better tasting than Heinze. 

16 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

The problem according to my diabetic Nurse is honey is as bad as sugar.

A quick google produced this, "Generally, there's no advantage to substituting honey for sugar in a diabetes eating plan. Both honey and sugar will affect your blood sugar level. Honey is sweeter than granulated sugar, so you might use a smaller amount of honey for sugar in some recipes."

Angel1.

The very next result on the Google page explained a bit how raw honey is better for Type 2 Diabetes than sugar: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317662.php 

I am not a baked bean fan, but I have always found the Heinz baked beans to be hard. This is probably dating back to the early 2000s. 

Whatever beans you choose, try adding either a bit of black pepper or Henderson's to them while they're cooking.  Makes a world of difference. 

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Switch to Branston's beans, far tastier.  Even found that Sainsbury's own brand baked beans are better tasting than Heinze. 

Branston are the healthiest, with a combination of 89% of beans and tomatoes. Although I have recently bought the reduced sugar/salt one.

I find most of the own brand beans far tastier than Heinz.  It's the same with Cadburys chocolate, awful tasting stuff nowadays, much prefer Aldi chocolate and at a fraction of the price.

Smart price beans are like ammunition.

Stay clear, stick to Heinz.

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Whatever beans you choose, try adding either a bit of black pepper or Henderson's to them while they're cooking.  Makes a world of difference. 

I put a couple of shakes of vinegar on my plate of beans.

Angel1. 

Tesco’s own baked beans brand are nice.  Tried them last year after watching  a programme helping people to save money on their food bills. They did a supermarket own brand beans test and Tesco came first, so I thought I would give them a try and I was pleasantly surprised. I now by them all the time.

Always preferred Cross & Blackwell beans.

Whichever brand you use, adding a small knob of butter to the beans in the pan helps improve consistency and flavour no end.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:59 PM, Baron99 said:

We switched fron Sainsbury's own brand to Branston's because we thought the Sainsbury's were too hard.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:49 PM, hauxwell said:

Tesco’s own baked beans brand are nice.  Tried them last year after watching  a programme helping people to save money on their food bills. They did a supermarket own brand beans test and Tesco came first, so I thought I would give them a try and I was pleasantly surprised. I now by them all the time.

Tesco beans are 69% beans and tomatoes, with the second largest ingredient being water. Branstone beans are 89% beans and tomatoes, which probably works out cheaper, unless you like paying for canned water with added beans and sugar.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:25 PM, carosio said:

Hellman's do a ketchup sweetened only with honey, plus wine vinegar. Most makers of ketchup bung in large amounts of sugar and salt (padding) because  they're cheap.

Sugar and salt aren't padding. They  probably use more to make poor quality cheaper ingredients taste better