Heinz tomato ketchup

Our local Tesco sells  a Polish tomato ketchup which I think is  better than the Heinz AND is cheaper at £1.15.

Edited by davyboy

12 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

That does not compel any company to do anything

It encourages companies to change the composition of their products to make them more healthy through a set of guidelines.

No foods have been banned. All the unhealthy stuff is still there if you want it. Nobody is stopping you buying it, or enriching products to meet your own tastes.

As for healthier versions they stand or fall on the demand for them. If they sell the companies will continue producing them.

Another vote for Branson beans. Lovely.

I think you know, like the food manufacturers do, that if they completely ignore government "guidelines" then enforcement to some degree will come in.

4 minutes ago, Hots on said:

I think you know, like the food manufacturers do, that if they completely ignore government "guidelines" then enforcement to some degree will come in.

What sort of enforcement?

Give an example of how a food company has been compelled to change a recipe

How would the government force Heinz to change a recipe?

It can’t 

I think its also down to money, we are on a race to the bottom, its like food packages getting smaller, more and more multibags of crisps in the poundshop you now get 4 bags instead of 6. I think recipes change as they source cheaper and sometimes different ingredients too

Stuff Heinz !  Why pay a silly named brand prices when  Asda  smartprice or the Aldi ketchup are just as good and a lot cheaper. :huh:

Hellman's do a ketchup sweetened only with honey, plus wine vinegar. Most makers of ketchup bung in large amounts of sugar and salt (padding) because  they're cheap.

4 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

What sort of enforcement?

Give an example of how a food company has been compelled to change a recipe

How would the government force Heinz to change a recipe?

It can’t 

What I'm saying is that up to now food manufacturers do, to various degrees, go along with government recommendations because if they just routinely ignored it, the government would use some enforcement. I have watched parliamentary debates where some MP's do suggest this.

18 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

They've been that way for as long as I remember. Try another brand and give us your opinion. My favourite are Branston.

I have always (bean) a Heinz fan. That's probably why the deterioration of their product was easy to detect. Originally the bean juice was thick and gloopy, now it has the consistency of water. 

To be a Heinz Baked Bean aficionado you must be a regular cold Bean sandwich lover. MMMMmmm lovely.

I'll get her indoors to get some Branston Beans and give them a go.

Angel1.

2 hours ago, carosio said:

Hellman's do a ketchup sweetened only with honey, plus wine vinegar. Most makers of ketchup bung in large amounts of sugar and salt (padding) because  they're cheap.

The problem according to my diabetic Nurse is honey is as bad as sugar.

A quick google produced this, "Generally, there's no advantage to substituting honey for sugar in a diabetes eating plan. Both honey and sugar will affect your blood sugar level. Honey is sweeter than granulated sugar, so you might use a smaller amount of honey for sugar in some recipes."

Angel1.

14 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have always (bean) a Heinz fan. That's probably why the deterioration of their product was easy to detect. Originally the bean juice was thick and gloopy, now it has the consistency of water. 

To be a Heinz Baked Bean aficionado you must be a regular cold Bean sandwich lover. MMMMmmm lovely.

I'll get her indoors to get some Branston Beans and give them a go.

Angel1.

Cold baked bean sarnies must numb the palate, Heinz baked beans have been rubbish for years.

5 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Cold baked bean sarnies must numb the palate, Heinz baked beans have been rubbish for years.

Thank goodness someone who agrees with me.

Angel1.

7 hours ago, Hots on said:

What I'm saying is that up to now food manufacturers do, to various degrees, go along with government recommendations because if they just routinely ignored it, the government would use some enforcement. I have watched parliamentary debates where some MP's do suggest this.

It’s never happened has it. 

No UK government ever forced Heinz to change a recipe