Northern Rail strikes

13 hours ago, dutch said:

If you live in some mental speedy racetrack you missed the point, I simply mentioned they had brand new trains at least four time over last 20 years.

That must need some qualification.  I could read it to mean trains are scrapped after only 5 years. I very much doubt that happens (or someone really needs to worry about quality and cost if they are), so where do 5, 10, and 15 year old trains go? No matter, that's a problem or delight for the Dutch to enjoy.

New trains are starting to arrive in this country for Northern and are being tested now, Class 195 on trial

There are many new trains being introduced across Britain, infuriatingly slowly, that's true. We haven't had a good enough rolling programme of replacements, but at least things are getting better on that score.

Which brings us back to the strike and the impact it's having on training crews to operate the new trains. We seem to have resigned ourselves to an indefinite  6 day Northern network and quite possibly to the delayed introduction of the new trains.

On 27/01/2019 at 09:18, dutch said:

Do a little exercise.

Go to google and search for spain trains and open and look at the images section 

Do the same for French trains, then German trains, Italian trains, look at the images section

Then do a search for british trains and look at the images section, or go to Sheffield station in person. 

If you haven't woken up by then its not my problem.

That line I mentioned earlier was Apeldoorn/zutphen but in all fairness it had three owners last 20 years what made the changes of rollingstock. The current owner (ariva) is very good at buying brand new better rolling stock.

If only Northern were owned by a company as good as Arriva...😉

Well, it looks like Arriva have caved in to the RMT....

RMT has agreed to suspend its strike action and recommence talks about the future role of the conductor. This follows positive discussions between RMT and Northern - brokered by ACAS Chair, Sir Brendan Barber.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/strike

if only they had done this sooner they would have saved the poor commuters months of hardship

I wouldn't say caved in.  They've only agreed to keep a conductor on the train and have still to discuss what the future role of the conductor looks like.

After travelling on Northern Trains Sunday just gone I've still to figure out what value, if any the conductor actually has...

Mind you I've also come to the same conclusion about NT in general. Transpennine are far better.

3 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I wouldn't say caved in.  They've only agreed to keep a conductor on the train and have still to discuss what the future role of the conductor looks like.

thats how i see it, they spent months and months fighting against having a conductor on their trains, and now they have climbed down..of course it wasnt a U Turn, they were just listening to peoples views lol

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

thats how i see it, they spent months and months fighting against having a conductor on their trains, and now they have climbed down..of course it wasnt a U Turn, they were just listening to peoples views lol

I understand that they have been guaranteed two members of staff,  it is a climb-down, but modernisation will take place eventually.

4 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Well, it looks like Arriva have caved in to the RMT....

RMT has agreed to suspend its strike action and recommence talks about the future role of the conductor. This follows positive discussions between RMT and Northern - brokered by ACAS Chair, Sir Brendan Barber.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/strike

if only they had done this sooner they would have saved the poor commuters months of hardship

Don't see how it's a cave in considering Northern's strike page has stated for months that they had planned to keep a 2nd staff member on board, they just wouldn't operate the doors. 

36 minutes ago, Resident said:

Don't see how it's a cave in considering Northern's strike page has stated for months that they had planned to keep a 2nd staff member on board, they just wouldn't operate the doors. 

They have guaranteed jobs not a guard on every train. So if there wasnt a guard available the could run without one. Now they are guaranteeing one on every train. 

On 07/02/2019 at 16:46, woodmally said:

They have guaranteed jobs not a guard on every train. So if there wasnt a guard available the could run without one. Now they are guaranteeing one on every train. 

Watching to politics on tv last night some off the panel said rail workers should not go on strike .  That is just what this government want so workers have less rights , if they had their way they would be no unions at all we would be then heading back towards  the 30s land owners owning mines , if a man went on strike he would loose his job . And owners owned the houses where the workers lived so they lost them to. Thatcher did her best to beat the unions , and this guy will try his best to do the same , 

2 hours ago, Slinny said:

Watching to politics on tv last night some off the panel said rail workers should not go on strike .  That is just what this government want so workers have less rights , if they had their way they would be no unions at all we would be then heading back towards  the 30s land owners owning mines , if a man went on strike he would loose his job . And owners owned the houses where the workers lived so they lost them to. Thatcher did her best to beat the unions , and this guy will try his best to do the same , 

Regardless of my opinion as to whether they should strike or not, I cannot stand the hypocrisy from MPs who all took their higher-than-inflation pay rises over the last few years