Sir michael palin

For what it's worth .........    I think Sir Michael Palin is a credit to Sheffield.

Sir Michael Palin, i still see him as Gordon Ottershaw in Ripping Yarns 8-1,8-1,and that was an own goal. Comedy Gold ,thoroughly deserved in my opinion.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:25 AM, mickyboy said:

Knighthoods  along with all other awards became meaning less when  we got Sir Elton, Sir Cliff ,  Sir Mick, and Sir Paul.

True credit should go to the likes of Keith Richard, Paul Weller,  Jim Broadbent,  Benjamin Zephanaya, even Nigeria Lawson who turn down these meaningless old fashioned inconsequential reminders of a bygone age.

Sky saying Ariana Grande turns down Damehood? . Apparently others who have turned down honours in the past include Peerages for Major, Blair & Brown.  (In the case of Blair, I'm surmising that a Peerage isn't high enough for him & he's biding his time until God moves on).

The problem I have with the honours system, (other than the antiquitated Empire link), is there appears no correlation between an individuals achievement & the level of award granted.  For example, cricketer Alistair Cook gets a Knighthood while Prof. Simon Kay, the surgeon who carried out the UK's first double hand transplant gets an OBE; the same award as Garth Southgate, who ultimately achieved nothing. 

There does seem to be a lot of bitterness about his knighthood. Strange really, as he has provided millions of people with millions of hours of entertainment over the years. And in the very same year some idiot who rides a pushbike gets sports personality of the year. 

The world really has gone mad. 

4 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

There does seem to be a lot of bitterness about his knighthood. Strange really, as he has provided millions of people with millions of hours of entertainment over the years. And in the very same year some idiot who rides a pushbike gets sports personality of the year. 

Yeah you are right

9 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

9 hours ago, mickey finn said:

Yeah you are right

The idiot who rides a bike has won the hardest event in the World , he is a working class lad who has not had the privilege to be among the public school set and all the perks that involves. Good luck to Palin he seems a decent bloke who can now carry on rubbing shoulders with the nobs he always has done. no comparison is remotely possible between him and Gerain Thomas a young man who has reached the limits of human endurance and has remained just an ordinary likeable lad in doing so.

Watching the BBC Breakfast newspaper review this morning, the woman reviewing the papers hit the nail on the head for me when she also complained about sports men & women, especially those individuals who are singled out for awards but are part of a team or highly paid entertainers being awarded for doing what they are well paid to do & enjoy. 

As she played out, Katesbridge Middleton's stylist was awarded an honour; (and only a woman could get away with a comment like this, in the current climate), "For what? Shortening her hemline?" 

14 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

What would you have preferred for Sports Personality?  Some idiot who kicks a ball around?

Back on topic, my first reaction to the story was "I thought he already had a knighthood"! 😄

8 minutes ago, Becky B said:

What would you have preferred for Sports Personality?  Some idiot who kicks a ball around?

Back on topic, my first reaction to the story was "I thought he already had a knighthood"! 😄

Or some idiot that peddles a bike around? Same thing really. It's like marmite. I'm not a footie fan either. I can't argue that he was voted to win, because he was. I'm just not a fan. X

I’m pleased the Thai divers who rescued the boys trapped in the cave are being recognised in the honours list. 

Michael Palin is a genuine, good man.  He has generously supported charitable causes for years that most people don't get to hear about.  I think he is the most grounded and humble member of the python team.  He is a true gentleman. 

This is one honour that I think is deserved and I think Sheffield should be proud of him. 

However, the question I think we should perhaps be asking, is:  'Is the now tarnished title deserving of Mr Palin?' 

Let's hope this is the start of many more deserving appointments. 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, BrexitGuy said:

Or some idiot that peddles a bike around? Same thing really. It's like marmite. I'm not a footie fan either. I can't argue that he was voted to win, because he was. I'm just not a fan. X

What?  Repeating what you said first doesn't make any sense - I asked if you didn't like the result because of his sport, and if you had a better idea? So who do you think was deserving of Sport Personality of the Year?  Or are they all idiots because they pedal a bike/kick a ball/hit a ball/throw something/run fast/swim fast?

He's riding it, not selling it