Sir michael palin

54 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

He must have been having a giggle if he mentioned the Blades, as he is a lifelong Wednedayite.

He's got form for being a Whoeversdoingbestite.

Edited by Jim Hardie

Gongs for mostly doing nowt much, ridiculous. Knighthoods for doing nowt much even more ridiculous. All totally meaningless, just my opinion of course.

Angel1.

2 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

John Lennon gave his MBE back after the Beatles split.   lol

He must have been having a giggle if he mentioned the Blades, as he is a lifelong Wednedayite.

He has a funny way of showing it then because in one of his world tour series he is seen with a "Blades on Tour" windscreen sticker in his car and on another occasion he asks a barber how the Blades are getting on.  I have one of his books which features Sheffield United memorabilia. 

He's from the right side of the tracks.  

We're Knights of the Round Table......

So proud of this legendary Sheffielder.
Arise Sir Michael !

I’m sure most celebrities support and help charities and that should be one of the reasons they receive an honour, for the amount of work they put into their chosen charities.  

They shouldn’t receive a knighthood for just doing their day job.

I see the post-New Year grumps have started early in Sheffield this year.

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

He has a funny way of showing it then because in one of his world tour series he is seen with a "Blades on Tour" windscreen sticker in his car and on another occasion he asks a barber how the Blades are getting on.  I have one of his books which features Sheffield United memorabilia. 

He's from the right side of the tracks.  

I think if you look at the quality and integrity of really worthy people who have batted back gongs,  then that tells you all you need to know ...

Zephenia   Weller   Broadbent   Loach.

Shame on you, Palin.

9 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

Who’s Helen Sharman ? Oh yes the woman who’s famous for dropping the flame at the student games and looking lost then pretending to light the cauldron when the only thing that was alight was the carpet she dropped the torch on. Yes she deserved a gong.

https://spacecentre.co.uk/blog-post/helen-sharman-britains-first-astronaut/ and should e had much more recognition. When Tim wotsisface wS all over the news a couple of years ago it was as if Helen had never been there first

10 hours ago, steved32 said:

I think if you look at the quality and integrity of really worthy people who have batted back gongs,  then that tells you all you need to know ...

Zephenia   Weller   Broadbent   Loach.

Shame on you, Palin.

How can there be any shame in providing millions of people with pleasure through contributions to comedy, travel, culture, geography, or whatever else and accepting acknowledgement of that?

I suppose you think we should do away with such things and the Royal family as well perhaps and form a Communist state instead?  I'd heartily recommend you to go and live in such a country - I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

21 hours ago, janie48 said:

Hundreds of people in the Honours list have received recognition for charity work and other worthy achievements. The famous celebrities recognised for their contribution to entertainment and the arts are a  small minority in comparison, but they are the ones who make the headlines. 

For some reason, some Sheffielders seem to begrudge one of their own achieving any success in life, its the same with Helen Sharman,  I don't think she gets enough credit. 

I happen to think John the Pram Man should receive an honour, but I don't resent Michael  Palin getting  one. 

He has: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-23153842

21 hours ago, janie48 said:

Thank you Cream Bun for that information. 

Your link didn't work,  but I will find out about the award. 

John deserves the recognition and more, and such a lovely man too. I've had a chat with him on several occasions. 

Edited by janie48